Your thoughts

RED STAG

Got a small fence line to do only just over  100 meters or so farmer uses the fence to help guide his sucker cows to his buildings.

They are fairly quiet for suckers   not the easily upset breed but will have strongish calves at foot.

He wants a wire fence so just wondering what you guys think about post spacing and diameter  he is looking to get a wee bit taller than 8/80 and barb.

strainers will be struts or box section whatever ground conditions allow.

Intermediates 125 to 150  x 2.7 at 5 meter spacing’s

With a R12/110/8 with  ht barb  

I suppose what we are after is a fence that will stand a bit of tussling and a deterrent from jumping

Any ideas or improvements. 

There is a chance stock will get pushed up against the fence wouldn’t like the farmer to call telling me that one got its foot between the bottom line wire and the barb  may never happen but it might.

The 8cm net is more expensive as you point out my thinking is that with the R should hopefully make it more difficult for a beast to get its foot caught.

Because it’s a relatively short section of fence   cost compared to a store calf with a damaged leg should justify the extra cost.

Fair point tight farmers down here lol that boy can't half ride his push bike was that you?

Lol at 19 stone I think not

Your wright about the farmers not wanting to spend money that’s a problem we all face to a greater or lesser degree it’s hard to get them to change their ways. 

9 wire with barb top 10ft straniers iff conditions allow 6 ft heavy rounds with the wires u can space them to suit the hight and add more iff nesasery plus it will take more punishment than net.

Never give that a thought would be more cost effective like rossco says than my thoughts might pay to batten as well help with a visual deterrent.

It is quit a sort bit for ht but as long as the foundations are in right and there rads on Aswell for restrain it should do a good job . Try putting getting him to put a bit more timber in the fence about 20 m our so from the entrance to the shed aswell for strength and more important a blind

for what its worth, 

i would certainly run 7-8 ft posts, the chances are if it is being used as a roadway for acttle the ground will get eaten away with constant use, 

Brent id be very keen to run either Torus or MS top ( one or two  barbed) farmers up my way prefer it becasuse its more of a visual barrier, the problem would be the shortish pull,  with that, 

also are you running a line along the top of the stocknet,  im a great believer in running a line barbed or plain along the top of the net, and i always like to run one along centre of net.

This seems like a classic example where many customers would try and save a few pennies on initial capital outlay only for cattle to jump the fence.

Spec wise it looks good to me, I would use box struts and space the inters closer at the shed/yard end say 3m for the first four posts and definitely HT barb, there's nothing worse than saggy barb after a cows been over it, and ratchets may not be a bad idea to keep tension in a few years after a few gatherings.

just a few thoughts from a different perspective:

The more strands of barb you put might just act as leg catchers? (if one fancies a bit of gymnastics) The R12 should give the height especially, if there's no sheep and you could use a bigger gap underneath. Maybe a plain HT along the top of the net may be more welfare friendly? Is barb really a deterrent from a jumping animal or just a danger?

Might be an idea to put a centaur polymer horse rail or stud rail to act as a belly board and visual  deterrent?

Archived