Post and Rail Spec

tepapa

All depends on the clients budget..... Most arenas we do are 2.1 5x3 posts 3.5x 1.5" rails and 6 x 1.5" boards but doing an arena tomorrow where price is no object using 2.4 long 5x4" posts 3 4x2" rails and 2 6x2" boards! As for field fencing all depends what is being held behind the fencing to determine what length posts we use normally combined with budget.......

As you guys mentioned every job is spec'd to client needs and budget but generally...

Most of the equine jobs we use 2.1m 5x3" posts for 2'6" deep and 4'6" height, helps to prevent the larger horses leaning and if they do the extra depth seems to help. We have found the 100mm 1/2 rails stronger and better value to money than the square equivalent. (that may be more to do with our supplier) Also 1 or 2 strands of electric to keep them from leaning. Most essex horses are tight for space and so put more pressure on the fences.

Most garden/estate jobs are 1.8m 5x3". either 38x88mm square rails or 100mm 1/2 round.

Up here , it's 3.6mtr long rails, 38 x 100 mm.

Post wise I've started working 4inch , machined rounds 5.6 posts, I was told by a carpenter it's better to work round posts when railing, as square posts mean the rail sits flat against the post, mean water gets trapped between the posts and rails, where as rou d posts mean less surface area.

Also he said to leave a 2-3 mm gap between each rail where they meet on the posts, as this allows for any expansions by the timber .

I seem to put up a lot of 5x4 posts either 6ft or 7ft and rails 4.2mx 100 x47 mm . I did a job a while a go 3 rail creo with offset electric both sides . And we put a lot of cleft chestnut post and rail 2 and 3 rail All winter cut we drive this in solid as a rock . And our other sawn 5x3 x 6ft posts x 3.6 x 87x 38mm rails . Or if it's half round I allways put. This on a chestnut 4-5 ,, top post . Did a equi fence job with 7ft 5-6" top posts 4 ft horse net x one strand electric on top finished height 1.30 m high we have a good supply of chestnut in Sevenoaks area which is high in demand

Archived