posts , round or square,

premnayloon

What's everyone view on using posts,

I have no problem with using round posts, but many customers have, it is very difficult to persuade stuck in their ways, to go to round from square,

The rounds have advantages as we know for dyke sides, but I see no issue with using as the norm, the main reason for refusing to use,is they say staples fall out at the rounds are prone to splitting,

Yet the round posts are always, the centre of the limb, trunk, the hardest but of timber on the tree.

What's everyone view on using posts,

I have no problem with using round posts, but many customers have, it is very difficult to persuade stuck in their ways, to go to round from square,

The rounds have advantages as we know for dyke sides, but I see no issue with using as the norm, the main reason for refusing to use,is they say staples fall out at the rounds are prone to splitting,

Yet the round posts are always, the centre of the limb, trunk, the hardest but of timber on the tree.

The rounds  I get to use are  often the actual dead center of the tree and is rejected by other trades, The reason is the pith is the worse part of the tree from a timber quality perspective, it rots and it was a much higher proportion of green sappy growth. Often the square posts, gate posts and rails are made from the centre, simply because no one else will have it, we are told its tanalised it will be ok.

Also fencing timber products utilise small grade forestry thinnings, knotty wood and short odd size lengths.

I know what you are thinking Premnayloon,  The heartwood is the best timber for carpentry in many hardwood species. But most fencing is coniferous species, Larch, pine, spruce etc.  Which hasn't got such strongly defined heartwood, due to species and age.

Personally from a fencers point of view a round post is easier to knock in, you don't notice if it twists. Whereas a square can go off course.

I only use square for gateposts and rail work.

As of this week, i want to work with Octopost all the time,

Very light to handle, looks good

And the posts chap in easy and dont have to worry  about twisting

Only downside is the spray when knocking in strainers

Could you attach  a short skirt around your cap or stick one on. It probably only needs to be an inch to buffer the spray then deflect it or it will drip off the skirt.

Better than direct squirt especially at eye level. Maybe try some gaffer tape to gauge it first.

Archived