Post and rail around a stable block

Ajmoore1

Hi all,

I have got a job coming up next week to post and rail around a stable block, the type on skids. It is approx 160ft total length of fence to include a 12 ft gate. She has asked for a price to do it so went to have a look as she has just put the stables up. The guys erecting the stables usually anchor the stables down with what looked like 2ft spiral anchors but they were unable to get them into the ground.

This is where my problem is in the pricing. If they can't drill the anchors in what chance have I got knocking the posts in. I have got a protech p230 post knocker with rock spike but find it quite difficult keeping square posts straight and not twisting. Have seen the square rock spikes but don't think it's worth investing in one as not really had much call for one previously.

Don't really want this part of the job but there is also going to be a lot of other fencing as they are spliting a 10 acre field into paddocks.

Few questions

1.If I can't knock them in they will all have to be hand dug, would you concrete the post in or back fill with what come out?

2. What length posts would you use 6ft or 7 ft?

3. Is it best to get pointed posts or flat bottomed ones? Plan to try knocking them in first and digging as last resort!

4. If using flat bottomed post is it advantageous to use a round rock spike first, does it help?

5 How would you price for something like this? I have suggested doing it on an hourly rate depending what machinery/ labour is required?

6 What sort of price would you give?

The stables are only for one pony and one horse so not going to be under to much pressure.

Any advise appreciated.

Cheers

I had a job recently very similar but was on solid chalk. I rock spiked all the holes in the morning, had an ibc with water on the loader and filled all the holes. Then knocked the posts in the afternoon, Gate posts I left over night. I would put it on day rate and don't be shy as these jobs take longer than you think, marking it out etc. I used 4" machined rounds as I knew what the ground was like so specced the fence accordingly

Even on jobs we can only get our digger knocker to and can't rock splike we hand spike first and fill with water, even that makes it possible to knock them in! If can spoke with Protech and fill then you ought to be fine. As previously mentioned price it for 1.5 times longer than you expect to take, usually works out right for me.

Have spoken to the customer and she is happy with round posts so went and trialed knocking the rock spike in tonight. Ground was hard but spike went in, put a 3 inch round in as a trial and it did struggle but think we are going to give it a go. Will use the water trick for the 4 inch posts, hopefully can get them in straight enough so they don't look a ******.

Going to order the material tomorrow and hopefully do it Monday and Tuesday next week. Bit of luck the rain that is forecast for Friday softens it up a bit!

If you rock spike with Protech and keep it level every few hits then it leaves a straight hole that the post will follow and leave you posts straight. Operating on heavy clay in essex most of summers and only way to get post and rail in straight is spiking every hole. Start a job next month with over 5,000 x 2.1m 5x3" posts. unless the ground softens up all will likely require spiking.

If you rock spike with Protech and keep it level every few hits then it leaves a straight hole that the post will follow and leave you posts straight. Operating on heavy clay in essex most of summers and only way to get post and rail in straight is spiking every hole. Start a job next month with over 5,000 x 2.1m 5x3" posts. unless the ground softens up all will likely require spiking.

Will be nice job when you get get the cheque for doing 5k posts! Presume you got a tracked machine for doing a job that big. Have you got a square rock spike or do you use to round one when doing 5x3?

Will be nice job when you get get the cheque for doing 5k posts! Presume you got a tracked machine for doing a job that big. Have you got a square rock spike or do you use to round one when doing 5x3?

Yes we run a protech p22 tracked machine and should get our trade in Evo 2 with larger 400kg weight just in time for that job (I hope). Job is for a good regular farmer client diversifying another old diary farm into equine units, I would be extremely nervous doing such a large job (actually be our largest single job to date @ 9km P&R) if it was for someone we hadn't already completed 13km of P&R for over the last 7 years. (Crazy how many horses are in Essex) 

I have thought about a square spike but I have used the 75mm round one of the protech for everything so far and had no real trouble. Any that start to twist get a pull back with hand twister but mostly clay land here so hardest job is getting them in straight when its this dry, spike down first to get a straight hole for the post to follow has got us this much work so far. If it was rock we were dealing with then a square spike would be better I expect, easier to twist back & wouldn't damage the posts so much. 

Archived