little tips

Robbell

thought it might be good to start a tread for little tips and to get it rolling:-

we found when knocking creosoted posts and strainers that we were getting a lot of splash off the post cap to post. By putting a plastic bag on top of the post it stops this

my one is one probably already used by  many, 

a drive in gate hook chapped in pointing downwards makes a very practical, cheap and effective catch for a gate pin,

Me being thick and tired today, I can't figure this out? Help please.

Ok goaty you have a gate that shuts against the slam post , so the pin of the gate is sitting across the post when shut,

You then take a drive in gate hook, Mark just above the gate pin and bore a hole for it, as you would to hang gate,

Then you chap in the hook with the pin you would usually hang the eye bits on face downwards.keep chapping until you the pin and hook just about meet,

Note it has to be above pointing down, if it's below then the gate can be opened by animals scratching themselves on gate.

I think i've mentioned it elsewhere, we use food cans for old staples and nails then put the lid back on and hammer the edges over. saves a lot of faff picking up and dropping nails. Also use an old veg or engine oil 20ltr metal can for bits of wire and small scrap.  Cut hole a bit  bigger to fit cans through. Pound through the hole to compress it  now and again, then scrap the lot.

If coiling wire or uncoiling by hand uncoil a number of loops then turn reel 180  degrees (1/2 turn) then do same and repeat until its all out or gathered in. It takes the spring coil kinks out. I learnt it on Millars fencing DVD

Ok goaty you have a gate that shuts against the slam post , so the pin of the gate is sitting across the post when shut,

You then take a drive in gate hook, Mark just above the gate pin and bore a hole for it, as you would to hang gate,

Then you chap in the hook with the pin you would usually hang the eye bits on face downwards.keep chapping until you the pin and hook just about meet,

Note it has to be above pointing down, if it's below then the gate can be opened by animals scratching themselves on gate.

Thanks Im much clearer now.  With a sliding bolt :rolleyes:

Joiners tend to use better quality timber. That doesn't split like the lower grade that is used for fencing. I have heard of joiners using it. It drives a bigger hole through the wood causing less sidewards force. Think of using a punch instead of a knife.

But as mentioned things are easier these days. Nail guns and th

• 3 weeks later...

A wee trick I learned years ago off a old fencer.

When digging holes on very step ground take 2 min to bench out a level area to stand and put the dirt on the hole makes life so much easier and u will have more energy to dig in more posts.

Just thought I would share this to help u guys out and to get the thread going agin it these wee tips that make the big diffreants at the end off the working week.

Look forward to seeing what other wee tips and tricks that use are will to share

A wee trick I learned years ago off a old fencer.

When digging holes on very step ground take 2 min to bench out a level area to stand and put the dirt on the hole makes life so much easier and u will have more energy to dig in more posts.

Just thought I would share this to help u guys out and to get the thread going agin it these wee tips that make the big diffreants at the end off the working week.

Look forward to seeing what other wee tips and tricks that use are will to share

I like that one Damien

• 1 month later...

I was pulling barbed the other day and had joined two bits , though not where I was pulling from,

As I was pulling the join I had made further up the line the knot kept catching on the rylock,

So in a moment of frustration, I took the paper wrapper from the rylock and wrapped it around the knot , this worked well to stop it catching again , and of course is easily removed.

• 4 months later...

Piece of palisade fencing or what’s known locally as scum fencing for pulling round tight corners

Just held in place with a couple staples and remove when finished with the loader.

Works a treat

Shoved a picture in the gallery

Just a note to say this is probably the best tip I've come across in a long time and owe you a pint.

Works like a charm.

I've been pulling 1.8m Otter fencing that has 500mm of netting above the posts that is then fixed to cranked brackets. With 2.1m palisade pales at the turners I could pull a 200m run. Would have been impossible without them.

Thanks ????

Archived