Rock spike our auger ??

D A MacDougall Fencing

Been thinking on this for a while and it would be good to here u guys and girls thought on it.

Am thinkiing off replacing my rock spike for a auger thinking that it will not be so hard on my kit as all the damage that iv done on past postdriver has been caused by using the rock spike.

Plus when u hit rock the spike raly get u to depth any way . I no the auger want but it should not cause damage to the postdriver.

And there more option on the size off hole that can be bored

Are you thinking of mounting a hydraulic borer to your post driver instead of the rock spike

I think you wouldn't gain anything you would be better just knocking the post any way. I seem to remember somewhere you could buy a steel spike foot to put on the point of a strainer to help in hard ground but haven't seen them for a while Just another cost!

I have seen an auger used on a bryce in some sales literature I have. I assume you power it from the auxillary  rockspike, quadshift hydraulic connectors. I imagine its straight forward as long as you get the right hydraulic motor.

I reckon it would be kinder on the machine compared to a rock spike. How long wound an auger last? You would need aggressive teeth on it for rock.

I have seen an auger used on a bryce in some sales literature I have. I assume you power it from the auxillary  rockspike, quadshift hydraulic connectors. I imagine its straight forward as long as you get the right hydraulic motor.

I reckon it would be kinder on the machine compared to a rock spike. How long wound an auger last? You would need aggressive teeth on it for rock.

Think the auger will last u can add on welding to the out side edge when they are getting to thin.not looked into cutting tips there a lot off difreant types for diffreant jobs.

think it just depends on how much u are willing to spend on cutting flight.

Iv not got much exsperance with augers but I think they will deal with

Sandstone

Boulder clay

Chalk

Compact gravel etc as good our better than the rock spike.

But on limestone

Granite

Whinstone I don't reckon it will tough it but the rock spike don't not deal with these condition anyway.so in my mind u are just is well to get the bracker in and start digging

We run an autoguide 15H auger on our little 2ton Volvo digger with a 9" & 12" auger for domestic / security fence work and some gateposts (if we arnt driving them in).

We are using the 9" this week on some stoney hoggin ground and we've worn out both sides of all the teeth after 26 holes! They are reversible and have had hard facing welded all over, from Whites were 10.24 each (x4 per set) which adds up quick in hard ground.

On softer ground they wear very well, but your not likely to want it on the easy ground I'm guessing?

If your thinking of using as a rockspike replacement I would expect to carry a lot of spare teeth with you. You can get more aggressive teeth/augers which could be more suited to tough conditions, if they cut rock better they might last longer? Take a look on auto guide website, they do all sorts.. http://www.autoguideequipment.co.uk/products/augers/

Ours was only £1800 with both augers at the time, they are too heavy on price for the teeth though, try Whites MH

We run an autoguide 15H auger on our little 2ton Volvo digger with a 9" & 12" auger for domestic / security fence work and some gateposts (if we arnt driving them in).

We are using the 9" this week on some stoney hoggin ground and we've worn out both sides of all the teeth after 26 holes! They are reversible and have had hard facing welded all over, from Whites were 10.24 each (x4 per set) which adds up quick in hard ground.

On softer ground they wear very well, but your not likely to want it on the easy ground I'm guessing?

If your thinking of using as a rockspike replacement I would expect to carry a lot of spare teeth with you. You can get more aggressive teeth/augers which could be more suited to tough conditions, if they cut rock better they might last longer? Take a look on auto guide website, they do all sorts.. http://www.autoguideequipment.co.uk/products/augers/

Ours was only £1800 with both augers at the time, they are too heavy on price for the teeth though, try Whites MH

Thanks for that link very intreaating . And food for thought with ur advice and exsperance with augers.dont no just what am trying to achive yett that why am asking for ur guy opinions.

Cheers Damien

Are you thinking of mounting a hydraulic borer to your post driver instead of the rock spike

I think you wouldn't gain anything you would be better just knocking the post any way. I seem to remember somewhere you could buy a steel spike foot to put on the point of a strainer to help in hard ground but haven't seen them for a while Just another cost!

Not to sure yet maby be the case that I could swap between rocksipike and auger .

Just thinking that the auger has more option and is not as hard on the machine

Worked with an auger on the back of a tractor for years. They are no good on hard ground and will just jam or sheer a bolt of you hit roots or a bigstone

All fare points gordon .

But think with a hydrolic moter u have a bit more control for speed and forward revers etc that helps a lot .

As far as hard ground condition think a lot depends on what cutting tips uv got on not that I no that much about that yet might learn its not worth it our find that it's going to cost to much £££££

Time will tell thanks

Our local electric company use an auger on a tracked dumper . It has a large hydraulic auger on a crane with remote control .i watched it go down 2.5metres to plant a large electric pole in very little time .it did have a very aggressive cutting head on it like something out of a syfy film but it did the job!!

All fare points gordon .

But think with a hydrolic moter u have a bit more control for speed and forward revers etc that helps a lot .

As far as hard ground condition think a lot depends on what cutting tips uv got on not that I no that much about that yet might learn its not worth it our find that it's going to cost to much £££££

Time will tell thanks

Archived