Tool for removal of large posts

Markhibberdfencing

Thankyou for the reply's I should have said gate posts etc that have rotted off so that I don't have to dig down far enough to get a chain around,I have a digger on site all the time because that's what all my kit runs from once again thanks for your help guys. Just going to take a look at post pullers ad now thankyou Steve.

We have a post puller, bought it at show price few years back and it's great for pulling out old concrete posts or any 2ft deep posts still intact, especially if you can't get access with a machine in. However for rotten off posts and large 3-4ft deep posts it's either awkward or not enough power (which is what I really wanted it for), we have been better off removing with the digger for that size, in my experience.

If we can we drive another post on top with the Bryce but like mentioned has to be flat ended....or the do the good old dig down two sides and lever out.. Some times we find it helps to drive an old steel handled grafter into the middle of the post with the sledge which gives you leverage to wiggle it loose and pull it out

Like mentioned we bash in on top. However recently I didn't fancy this as the 8 inch gate post was an inch away from the side of an old cottage, I figured it was the hardcore type foundation with no concrete. Didn't want to shake the recently renovated place to bits.

We parked the Bryce leg right at the side of it with the leg retracted and a strop over it carefully to avoid machine damage and attached timber tongs to it and wedged the hook ends in the post, raised the legs and it popped up like A cork.

However I'm not recommending you used this regularly but the principle could work on a simple ram based kit.

I have made Swedish candles, they need airflow. Doubt that it would burn well underground. They burn out just after the deepest cut.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke too soon. Had to get a digger in last week, post bottom in ground never budged. The post I hammered on top just danced around.

The piece underground was above 18inch across and still had the natural tree shape including sawn off branch stubs. Yet above ground it was a shaped square profile post with a fancy bishops mitre top. Must of been very old school cheap pre war labour perhaps? Anyone else come across this? I wish I'd taken photos now.

Archived