Horse netting

Ajmoore1

Hi,

Am after a bit of advice for a fence we are are going to be doing for a customer. As the title suggests it is for a couple horses. Usually do stock fencing and never used horse netting before. She is supplying the netting which is x fence 12-110-7.5

My plan was to use 3-4 inch uc4 intermediate post 6ft long, knock in to 48 inch and put a plain wire on the top. I am having a problem sourcing the posts as all the stockists in our area only stock 5ft 6 in uc4 and not 6ft. I think 5ft 6 post would not be tall enough as would only be 18inch in the ground.

So would I be best to use non uc4 at 6ft or uc4 I at 5ft6? What size do people use for house fencing? I have asked one supplier and they can get them but would be 3week lead time but the client wants the job done ASAP.

Also the plan was to put a single wire on the top but a lot of horse fencing I see has a rail on the top. Would I be best to space the posts at 7ft apart so if the horses do reach over I could put a rail on at later date? What post spacing do people generally use on ht horse netting?

The piece we are doing is the corner of a field (150m) as she has bought 1acre from local farmer and will only be keeping in two hobby horses so not tightly stocked.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

I would use a 6ft post minimum for this, depending on the ground sometimes a 7ft would be better if its soft or unstable. At worst if you had to use 5'6" I would put a strainer every 20 metres or so as the netting is a lot more rigid than standard 80-80-15 and this would support it much better.

I know we are on a Tornado forum, but the x fence is not to be sniffed at!

Personally, I would use only uc4 if I am supplying post.. We don't use anything else for horse fencing I have never used anything less than 6 foot at minimum. I know you say cent wants it asap, but is three weeks the end of the world for a job done right. In my eyes I would prefer to wait 3 weeks for good job, then have it done within 2 weeks and then have to,have it done again because I couldn't be arsed to wait. We are all differnt though and my eyes often see things in the wrong way. We don't generally use a line wire or top rail. Generally use box strainers and some tight wire does the job, if they push on it, the best you can use is electric rope on a stand off insulator.

Personally, I would use only uc4 if I am supplying post.. We don't use anything else for horse fencing I have never used anything less than 6 foot at minimum. I know you say cent wants it asap, but is three weeks the end of the world for a job done right. In my eyes I would prefer to wait 3 weeks for good job, then have it done within 2 weeks and then have to,have it done again because I couldn't be arsed to wait. We are all differnt though and my eyes often see things in the wrong way. We don't generally use a line wire or top rail. Generally use box strainers and some tight wire does the job, if they push on it, the best you can use is electric rope on a stand off insulator.

Thanks for your advice. Was thinking of doing box strainers but was concerned of horses getting feet caught in the diagonal wire on the internal corner.

I know we are on a Tornado forum, but the x fence is not to be sniffed at!

Yeh that's true, I used plenty before Tornado started manufacturing Torus. I was just giving a nod to our generous hosts.

If the client has Mcveighs delivering the netting, can they not deliver some suitable posts?

Archived