Your Xmas work plans

premnayloon

Last year I worked right through barring New Year's Day and 25th. Next weekend I go to NZ until 8th of jan. Not rubbing it in, we are by no means loaded. We drive old vehicles don't own a home, but it's what we have done on average every other year for 10 years.

I find everything slow and frustrating and December is my least favourite month in this country.

Short days

Damp weather

Everyone mentally shuts down into holiday mode at the beginning of the month.

" Leave it until next year" attitude.

I prefer being out the way as. I have a like to get on mentality and people going slow and getting in the way frustrates me.

We will probably work up until Xmas eve and then shut down. If anyone wants to come into work they can, but I would never expect it. I am happy to start back beginning of Jan, it's a nice time as phone seldom rings about work, however one woman did try and call last year on Boxing Day wanting a garden fence looking at. It is a time for me to catch up with people and get the lot store filled and just do things at my own speed.

We also take 2 weeks off over Xmas, used to work through if the jobs were there but found we were fighting the weather and most places/suppliers shut anyway so made things harder than need to be. I don't mind pushing hard & working late / weekends at busy times in spring and autumn but have to remember to take it easy when you can. A lifetime of fencing's a marathon, not a sprint...

Similar to most we work till Christmas Eve only thing a bit different is we are stock taking then as the new year is the end of our finical year a few drinks once it's all done means everyone has a good incentive to get it all counted as quick as possible ..! Then close till the new year it's my favourite time of year as it's the only time we actually stop, just the cows to feed and lots of time for drinks family and friends.

Someone has to pull the short straw and do a few hours between Christmas and new year to send any online orders out ...you'd be surprised how many people order stuff on Christmas Day

Work till Xmas eve then normally finish till after new year. Unless really urgent given up raving around for everyone else as they don't for you and it doesn't seem to get you any further in front. Did have a customer ring me on Xmas day once to discuss fencing work that was novel!!

Archived