Mistakes made

Markhibberdfencing

My idea of perfection is failed often. Sometimes I work it all out in my head, three completely forget the plan. It makes it harder. Gates are something I've messed up on, either leaving too much of a gap or too little.

Put the gate in first! But then you cannot see if your line is straight in a straight long run.

It normally comes down to more haste less speed with me knocking one post in too far then spending time trying to dig it out as it's always the day you forget the chain...possibly my biggest mistake was saying Ok when 20 odd years ago the misses said "Pat down the road wondered if you could do a bit of fencing for them' rest is history ....????

Make one or two mistakes with gates in the past. 

Was hanging a matched pair of timber deer gates on the front face, put the posts in and a couple of days later went back to hang them and the gap was so wrong i had to hang them on the inside of the posts for whatever reason i had completely got the measurement wrong...

Would love you to explain a bit more Ben Fencin all the best Mark

Mostly not getting a post deep enough  and later having them lift.  Fortunately I made these mistakes on my own farm and not a customers.  I have carbide rock augers for some types of rock, but granite and basalt need a pneumatic rock drill or jackhammer.  

Make one or two mistakes with gates in the past. 

Was hanging a matched pair of timber deer gates on the front face, put the posts in and a couple of days later went back to hang them and the gap was so wrong i had to hang them on the inside of the posts for whatever reason i had completely got the measurement wrong...

i always if possible get the gate top be hung in situ, despite measuring the gap often gates can b 3-4 inch short or long, better to have the gfate there

Thanks for explaining that Sounds like you have some difficult ground to work through at times

We often have multiple soil types in a single field if you look at a soil map.  Three main factors caused by ice a mile high 20,000 years ago.

Movement of glaciers stripped the ground, exposed bedrock and made it close to surface in places, often hillls.

Glacial melt, sand and gravel deposits

Weight of glaciers depressed the ground, when melted the ocean flooded in to a certain point (where I live) and deposited clay.

That's very interesting I guess we have guys n girls here who reguarly work with difficult ground,I have walked alot in Scotland and have been amazed by some of the fences that go through the mountains straight as you like and set into rock some of which have clearly been in place for many years and done without machinery,I am generally pretty spoilt mainly clay just recently struggling with stone so long spells with the auger.How large is your farm and what do you farm? All the best Mark

• 2 weeks later...

one of the very first jobs I ever did only a small run in comparison to what i have done since, but knocked in 100m of a 450m plus 2 gate fence. looked barrel straight while we hung the wire and hung the gate at one end, came back the next day. land owner must have moved his land it was bowed like a horse leg. needless to say learnt from that mistake after wasting half a day digging them out and putting them back in.  

• 3 months later...

Today's **** up having said to one of my chaps about keeping doors shut when moving along the line i fdidnt listen to my own advice and caught it on a post... Bang ..glass every where I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Guilty to the tune of £600

And while I'm.at it, roll pins on to hold the spring and washer in place on gate pins,

Anyone else find trying to chap, the pin through whilst trying to hold the roll.pin, and the gate pin, whilst under strain from the spring with one hand nigh on impossible,

Now I ditch the roll.pins and gone back to split pins.

Archived