Driving Square Gate Posts...

RCCM

Hi All,

I have been putting off driving 7x7 or 8x8x square gate posts for a while now despite various people saying its easy.  This is my only bit of hand digging i do now.

My worries are that you get half way through banging it in and it starts drifiting off plumb as some strainers do and is not possible to straighten it up or grinds to a halt.

Also what have people done about making up a cap to fit the 4 way weather on the top of gate posts? I will make up a post spanner for 7" posts.

I have a vector tracked pd with 300kg hammer and rockspike. 

You have know the ground your in before you do it and depends on the situation. If going was good in the middle of a field then no problem, if its on someones driveway and you don't know what lies beneath then I would dig. I knock all the ones I can now, if you make a good twister and rockspike first you've got a fighting chance!

I often knock square posts in, have made my own caps to fit different sizes but prior to that I would check with customer if ok to cut of some of four way top,sometimes not plumb so dig down side and push over till plumb,and as Mike says know your ground if possible also get the twist out straight away or no chance to correct that.was assured the other day no services but I was nervous so hand dug found main electric about one foot down luckily no damage done.

Archived