Nail Guns, which one to use?

Haydn Gleave Fencing

Apologies if this has already been done.

Looking at buying a nail gun, have a quite big job coming up and looking at getting one to speed up the job.

Looking at the pasolade range for the time being, which models are people currently using? I'm looking at the IM360 or IM350 range

Thanks, Haydn

1 bought a 350 paslode about ten years ago for a post and rail job. Around 400meter job gun was £180 on ebay. At the time we had a parmieter knocker. We were averaging £11 an hour income for two if us on post and four rails paslode put it up to £22 per hour.

I could've chucked the gun away at end if that job. It was a no brainer.

I have two Dewalt 690 nail guns firing 50mm long up to 90mm 3.1mm galv nails. All my other tools are dewalt so I bought them bare at a fraction of the cost​.  ​I think they are great and use them for a range of construction and fencing jobs. The other bonus is no gas and less to go wrong.

Do you still have to use the clipped head nails in the paslodes?Imo 90mm is not long enough unless all you are doing square sawn rails. I have the big Bostich gun which will fire up to 6" nails and on post and rail I use 100 and 110mm full head 3.8mm ring shanks and personally wouldn't want any less for fencing. It runs off the stockade compressor and is as consistent as they get.

We use the Bostitch nail gun too and have a smaller gun for Domestic fencing. We tried the Paslode for sawn post and rail but weren't 100% happy with the nails and then a bad experience that summer was the nail in the coffin for it. I've not tried the current generation of Paslode which @Charlie Hubbard says is much better than the old one and has a video of one man really cracking on.

Both have their pros and cons.

Paslode is lightweight, can hang on your belt loop and one man can get along quite comfortably. However gas, batteries, servicing, dubious nails out there, 90 mm length and smaller magazine capacity.

Pneumatic has longer and heavier nails, Greater magazine capacity, reduced servicing intervals and a more robust tool that will last a long long time. Weather proof unlike Paslode? However is a heavy lump, need to move compressor along with you, fair bit of a cash outlay and fewer service agents than Paslode. 2 man job with pneumatic?

Postdriver has covered it above ..! We do find the new generation of Paslode im90 guns lots better than the old 350 guns the only down fall is that you have to use Paslode nails and gas as they are different and covered by a new patient so no one else can make them until the 20 years are up. We have not had any problems with the 90mm galv plus ribbed nails in sawn rails 38mm x 88mm or machined 100mm 1/2 rounds but any bigger you would be pushing it and would be need to go air power or hand nail

When the original patent ran out on the old guns that's when everyone stated making nails to fit them and similar guns.. This brought the price down on nails and gas but also the quality with light galv and poor gas with some of the cheeper nails meaning rusty nails and lower power firing guns that need cleaning more often. The Paslode gas also has a lubricant it it which some of the other makes don't ..cheap is not always an advantage we learnt this lesson quickly as well ..!

Archived