When to tie off?

Ajmoore1

Out of interest when do you tie off the wire netting, on each corner or certain distance. I have got a job fencing around a small rectangle paddock. It is 70m wide and 90m long with a gate in the middle of the of the 70m length. I am thinking of piggy backing the pulls around the back of the strainers so would only be tied off on each side of the gate.

Is this bad practice or standard?

Cheers in advance.

As far as it holds up tight. It's not a headache to repair, rejoin and retention single strands.

With HT wire it's along way before it gets sloppy.

I say test it with a tensioner after so far, see what you think.

Oh and let's us know the outcome.

I like to tie off around every 200 metres of barbed. For the following reasons,

It's a ****** for hooking on rylock, or rabbit net, as we know so just for making life easier,

Also it means that if you just go every 200, and the wire gets broken rather than have a vast distance broken its limited to 200 metres at the most,

But I have seen me tie off at 100 -150 it depends on the fence line, and terrain too.

I like to tie off around every 200 metres of barbed. For the following reasons,

It's a ****** for hooking on rylock, or rabbit net, as we know so just for making life easier,

Also it means that if you just go every 200, and the wire gets broken rather than have a vast distance broken its limited to 200 metres at the most,

But I have seen me tie off at 100 -150 it depends on the fence line, and terrain too.

Wee tip for you Gordon , put the barb on 1st  and just tack it on here and there. finished at Jennys yet ?

I did get paid though had to go and ask for it which I believe is usual for him, are you fencing at the quarry bit that ground was ******* hellish hard

No, down beside the Don, its good going only 2 strainers that took a bit of chappin, nice and flat on most parts but a lot of turns although just slight turns. Knocked in 24 strainers 30 turners and still more to go, some descant pulls so wire will go up quick, i hope !!!!

We he welly now piggy back round and tie on and tie of either side of gates etc. Barb we sometime tie off more often as it doesn't take to long.

A tip if you are pulling long leg this of barb, we have been known to rest stake son the fence at an angle and then pull the barb wire, the barb wire rides up the stakes and doesn't snag on the netting.

Aye I've done this with rabbit net, also seen me lightly tap.in four inch nails to.hold up the barbed,

A guy I was speaking to today, a farmer, said he ties the barbed on the right side of strainers then runs barbed down the back of rylock,and posts. then pulls until there is sufficient tension to stop it hooking on then he lifts it back on right side of posts, usually it's tight enough. To bounce over the posts to correct side.

I have to admit seems simple and effective I'm going to give it a try out next time

• 9 months later...

Aye I've done this with rabbit net, also seen me lightly tap.in four inch nails to.hold up the barbed,

A guy I was speaking to today, a farmer, said he ties the barbed on the right side of strainers then runs barbed down the back of rylock,and posts. then pulls until there is sufficient tension to stop it hooking on then he lifts it back on right side of posts, usually it's tight enough. To bounce over the posts to correct side.

I have to admit seems simple and effective I'm going to give it a try out next time

Thats how i do it as long as your not tight against a hedge!

Archived