Removing old fences

Ajmoore1

I have been asked to quote on a new post and rail fence and they want the old one removing. How much do you charge for removing old fence and disposing of? Do you do it per m or just give a flat rate.

Also on the same job there is about 30 posts in one section that need replacing, they want a price per post to remove and replace.

Much prefer putting a new fence in rather than messing with an old one but tried my best to talk the into replacing it all but to no avail.

Cheers in advance.

taking out a old post and rail we drop the saw down the side of the posts, all the rails are then apox 5'6'' and will stack on pallets etc, all the nails are in the old posts so its safer, its also quiet quick to do

replacing the posts? well that's just going to have to be a guestimate

I been getting asked to do the same am on a 1500 m sock fence strip and replace and they want old fence taken away . I've quoted .80 ppm to strip fence . Then £25 ph to transport old material to skip and load that on site it takes longer than you think . Plus the hire of the skip . its not cheap for them it's hard to get a good load of old fencing into a skip . But it's there choice can't argue with that

Every jobs different but I work a taking down out by simply how long it will roughly take then divide the distance of the fence by the time using our daily rate as a guide on the price plus a skip cost or time to load - unload. Like rob says post and rail cut down the sides of the posts so you end up with a easy stackable pile on a trailer or skip. Same with wire pull or cut staples so it can be rolled up and flattened takes a bit longer but much less of a headache to move off site.

One word of warning if asked to replace the odd post and rail posts ....just check with a bar that they've not been concreted in before ...! Not what you want to find on the first day of a new job ...!!

I've just done it for the FC, I took £1 per metre, it was rabbit net and plain lines,

I went up when I had a spare afternoon and took off posts, then got the tractor and loader to lift the old fence out, credit to the person that put it up, the bloody thing was around 18inch buried and with stones on top of that so ripped some too,

The net wasn't a problem if was the bloody plain lines, I then just put it in trailer and removed.

It's certainly easier if especially for rylock, you can pull out with loader lie flat on ground then just run along with graip and scoop up.

I usually charge a £1/metre to take down and extra to take away. I strip it all down back to posts net and barb or plain so its tidy and its a good earner! We've got a couple of pairs of the eze crimp tools and they make pulling staples a dream! It can pay as much if not more than putting up a new fence with a fraction of the outlay!

I quite enjoy dismantles, it's a change and I find it quicker than putting them up. I think we discussed this in a thread a while back.

You certainly need to have an effective system and so much better with a front loader or telehander.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived