Wages

Ringfencing

Hi Robbell do you find on the books works, my chaps have always been self employed so can come and go as they want which has worked  well.  ive always thought you can be taken for a ride if you employ them but maybe not.

if you give self employed staff full time work HMRC can come for you and claim NI contribution going back years, they also take the money paid to your staff as the net ammount and can come to you for the tax on that money

Iv had employees for years but also keep a couple of self employed lads on just a couple of days a week to supplement working at home on farms etc The lads keep a time sheet that we supply and on the 25th of the month they hand them in,they go to my accountant who does a wages service & email me back the amount, we pay on the last working day of the month and NI/ paye on the 6th of the following month

since we went LTD last year Im now also an employee of the company, my salary is £670/ month plus dividends. Its taken a bit of getting used to not being able to rob the business acc for such as car repairs etc but we're getting used to that

On the big plus side we now have the house and yard ringfenced away from the business so god forbid someone goes bust on us or theres a big accident with a member of staff the property is all protected

if you give self employed staff full time work HMRC can come for you and claim NI contribution going back years, they also take the money paid to your staff as the net ammount and can come to you for the tax on that money

Iv had employees for years but also keep a couple of self employed lads on just a couple of days a week to supplement working at home on farms etc The lads keep a time sheet that we supply and on the 25th of the month they hand them in,they go to my accountant who does a wages service & email me back the amount, we pay on the last working day of the month and NI/ paye on the 6th of the following month

since we went LTD last year Im now also an employee of the company, my salary is £670/ month plus dividends. Its taken a bit of getting used to not being able to rob the business acc for such as car repairs etc but we're getting used to that

On the big plus side we now have the house and yard ringfenced away from the business so god forbid someone goes bust on us or theres a big accident with a member of staff the property is all protected

Exactly the same reasons we went Ltd last year Robbell. You can take money from the ltd business account for your personal use as long as you track it via the directors loan account which shows the money going to you as a loan throughout the year and then you pay off the loan at the end of each year with your dividend payment to clear it and pay yourself anything left over with the remainder of the dividend.

Our new 19yr old lad is on 7.50/hr first 9.5 hrs (7 - 5.30) then 9.50 overtime, everything provided. Happy to pay up to £10/hr plus overtime for someone who can use chainsaw, excavator, trailer liscence etc but struggle to find the workers.

Do any of you pay travel time?

Yes as Steve says you are obliged to pay it which can be tough when your paying overtime for them to sit in the truck snoring on the way home!! But mostly there good lads and have earn't the snooze...

Not paying travelling would only apply if they are traveling to site directly from home (your vehicle or theirs) as far as I know.

I used to pay my old chap by the metre / per job, but the new chap,is on hourly all the time, I suppose both have merits and down sides.

Regarding the paying to,site, do you also have to pay back from site to yard, or is it just one way.

You have to pay to and from the job site if they start work at your yard / premises.

However if they meet you on site then you don't have to pay them for travelling (depends if it's in their employment contract with you) but conventionally site workers are paid their time for one way only.

Thanks pdr.

I pay my main main not ways until he finishes as he is driving the vehicle home or something like that, but tif we have anyone else, I generally pay them from start time in the yard to finish time on site. So they only get paid one way, however if we are more than an hour from site, which is very rare I pay them for any travelling over an hour, but not sure if this is ok now after reading this thread.

Archived