box strainers on the new A11 bypass

RCCM

I was driving along the newish section of dual carriage way on the A11 a couple of months ago and couldn't help scrutinising the fence and noticed the box strainers and the completely variable direction and position of the diagonal stay wire. 

I have no idea who installed the many miles of what looks to be about 1.2m high fence but the stay wire was installed in every conceivable position and angle on the two strainer posts. I am hoping someone is going to correct me and explain the reason for altering the position of the diagonal brace wire, but it was correct in some places and then on the top of the main strainer and bottom of support strainer, some places where they had a double box for the beginning/end join, the wires were at the same angle not opposite creating a 'V' shape.

Anyone got an explanation or was it just a very large contract put up quickly by many different people with a big range of skills and experience.... 

Any picture's? Can't quite work out what ur trying to explain but the brace wire should always run from the top of the inline strainer down to the bottom of the termination strainer to counteract the forces applied to the termination strainer. With both brace wires running the same direction on a double box. The V braces may have been terminations I'm the fence line.?

Hi,  Yes the fence does look very odd and some of the wires are incorrect, however there is very little tension on the fence so the wires are not actually doing much. The V section you refer to is where work was concluded one day at a strainer witha wire in a \ configuration pulling in one direction and work was started again the next day with a wire in a / configuration pulling in the opposite direction the overall effect being V in appearance. Hope that helps

Maybe my explanation was not very good.  I am well versed in building boxes and understand how one end may be a termination but some of the wires on the boxes were the wrong way round like this /\ and some were / / instead of normal \ / from middle termination post. hope that's clearer.

Archived