Higidly Pigidly

Mooresft

Just wondering when you guys start charging extra for turners and extra strainers (on the installation side of things)

Just finishing up a job where in 800m of fencing we have put 46 strainers, lots of nadgery bits and a few small runs.

The job is for a friend so I have charged my flat rate for stock fencing, but for anyone else I would have to up the bill I reckon, I usually work on a strainer every 40m on average. What about you guys, do you start adding to the installation costs after a certain amount?

To be fair, I don't charge for extra turners or strainers ,

But I'm going to start, I hire the chapper so extra turners means more time required so I'm thinking strainer each end and turner around every 50 mtrs

It's not only the time to chap, it's the extra time cajoling wire around turners too, straight runs isn't a problem but twists and turns, ups a downs, the manhandling the pointing, is more work than I've realise until now,

That's going to change.

I'm going to have to think about the cost probably just a set amount per strainer turner

We've charged more when fencing along winding roads and rivers. Explained at the start that the meter price was for strainers/turners every 45m or so and strutted where needed. Then every strainer over that was charged at material + time.

So say you can bang 5 strainers an hour @ £35 per hour that's £7 per strainer in time.

Customer knows where they stand then, and can see what extra you have put into doing a proper job

Thats Kinda along the lines I was thinking. To be honest I was thinking around the £10 mark extra, by the extra time strutting, pulling wire tighter and just general faff of having lots of strainers.

However I can imagine a raised eyebrow from the customer when told extra strainers are that much more.

Down here in Cornwall the hedges are very very rarely straight. On average it's around 5 turners per 100m. I Always look at the job first to make judgement on the turners and charge accordingly. I explain to the customer the difference in meterage prices. It's just the way I do it. Although I have a mate that does a flat rate plus so much per extra turner. Both ways are right just takes the risk out of the guesswork by charging for thembbBecause it can be an expensive mistake to make. For example we did 452m the other day 4 end strainers , 1 double strutted corner and 29 turners !

Archived