Post/Tool Carerier for loader

Ajmoore1

Hi Guys

Got a bit of time in between jobs and fancy playing with the welder so looking at knocking up a purpose made holder for post and few tools to go on the loader.

Currently use an old stillage which holds the post ok but is a bit weak and is a pain when you put strainers on the top you have to pull the post underneath.  Have had a look around on the internet for ideas but the only one i can find really is http://www.cam-engineering.net/uploads/_CGSmartImage/fence-post-carrier-1-19a27635896f47d10e70bf20c465b13d.jpg .

So looking at doing something similar to fit on the loader but maybe adding a removable cross brace so can put intermediate post on the bottom and strainers on the top.

Any pics or suggestions much appreciated before we start making on tuesday.

Cheers

Was originally thinking of making it so it fits on the forks instead of deadicated brackets then would have forks with us if we need to load more posts in from trailer. Bought a set of loader brackets couple of weeks ago though, maybe save them for something else!

Hello we are going to do a very similar thing.We have dug out a old but very strong stillage which is going to modified to suit us.I have a biggish box that used to be on the front of our old post driver the plan is to weld this onto the stillage so we have everything all together.It would probably be good to have some cross bars welded half way up the stillage so you could segregate stainers and stakes.Keep us all posted as to what you do with yours.

Was thinking about this whilst working. Today I was on my own towing a trailer behind the knocker. It works it's detattachable, but cumbersome.

Someone mentioned having a carrier on the loader. Loaders are flexible, interchangeable quickly etc.

However legally you cannot carry a load on a loader, though farms round here swing fert bags and seed off them and go around with two bales high up in the air ready to crush a car.

We're does the load carrier stand on the highway laden?

Was thinking about this whilst working. Today I was on my own towing a trailer behind the knocker. It works it's detattachable, but cumbersome.

Someone mentioned having a carrier on the loader. Loaders are flexible, interchangeable quickly etc.

However legally you cannot carry a load on a loader, though farms round here swing fert bags and seed off them and go around with two bales high up in the air ready to crush a car.

We're does the load carrier stand on the highway laden?

As long as it doesn't have anything someone or a car could impale itself on you're fine, e.g. pallet forks or bale spikes. Again you aren't allowed to carry a load, due to some bolloxs they made up. Plus also a way they can get you for running on red diesel and technically delivering material. I just stick all the materials and the pallet forks on the trailer behind the shogun and get the lad to drive it, while I drive the tractor. Saves the hassle and the mither from sods law.  

Picked the steel up and had a good day at it.

post-759-0-36306700-1461186852_thumb.jpegpost-759-0-64557000-1461186867_thumb.jpeg

Ready to go to supplier tomorrow and load up. I haven't painted yet, think I will use it for a bit and see what needs modifying first. Ideally want to fit a large tool box onto it to carry wire pullers etc and chainsaw.

I think it will develop over time but that's it for now.

Took it to pick up a pack of 5x3 posts today and it was 1/4 of an inch to small to drop the pack in, first mistake! Wasn't to much hassle as just took the first row off and dropped them in with some slings on the fork lift.

Will try it on the tractor tomorrow loaded up but think there is a lot of weight on it, will test the welding. Don't think I would risk taking it on the road loaded, will carry it on the trailer behind the knocker then attach when on site.

• 4 weeks later...

The way we do it; 8t "grain" trailer with barn doors on the back, we load packs of stakes through the back with forklift and then strainers on top, quick fencer on the front links, get to the field one lad on the trailer, other in tractor driving and throw out all the strainers; then wizz round second time and throw out all the intermediates. Track knocker (brought to site by Landy with the rest of the tools in the back) then just carries a few extra posts in case needed. We find it faster and more manoeuvrable to get the gear out first quickly. Whilst one lad is knocking strainers the lad waiting to put wire up walks round the field and strides out the intermediates and puts the intermediates in the right place. The knocker goes round and everything is pretty much exactly where it's needed. By that time some strainers are in and braced and wire starts going up behind. The knocker is then following round a second time putting in the intermediates. We find this saves loads of time handling posts.

That's a lot of times round the field especially if its wet. 1st pass knock strainers and roll out line wire, pull up your line, second pass struts, intermediate posts whilst unrolling net and second strand of plain or barbed wire all in one go then just got to strain wire and staple. Big jobs one tracked knocker goes in front and knocks all the strainers the other one then comes behind and does the inters. Carry everything on the machines,

I have a solonet but never used it as its another pass and always pull up with boundary clamps so not found much need for it yet!

• 2 weeks later...

We have wide tyres on the trailers and 650s on the tractors, tyres can be slackened off if it's a bit soft and inflated back up off the tractors air before leaving site. if it's too wet to go then we don't go. I like to to take the gear to site and get the lad that's knocking to throw the strainers out so I can talk the job through with him as we go around the field as its the first time my guys will have seen the site, obviously on small simple jobs that's not required. How many strainers can you carry on your knocker? If there's only a few to go in then I can see the logic, but I maintain towing a trailer behind the knocker is awkward for menovering the knocker and on sites where there's a lot of posts to go in its not feasable or the machine has got to be reloaded with posts, double handling and wasting time of moving gear about on site. If it's too wet to drive around a field then you have to question if it's really suitable to be doing the job at that time. Everyone's got their way of doing things whatever works best for the individual and the site I guess.

Archived