Which tractor?

haslemerefencing

I was in your dilemma last year and over upgraded to a jd6620. But I've no regrets. Previously we ran a case 4230 which I had fitted double assistor Rams to linkage and got the arms shortened to lift the Bryce suma. The case did the job but only just. The jd is huge by comparison but we find it about the same for access and its nimble.

You don't mention your post driver. The case would of been great with a wragg or similar.

In your price range you will be looking at an older classic such as the ih956 or ford new holland classic. Not much electronic. Mf are electrically heavy.

Have a look at hydraulics output and pressure on a site such as tractordata.

Brilliant, thanks all. Local fitter recommended a case 5140 etc, I'd thought the jd3050, I'll keep an open mind and look at those mentioned, anyone any experience of fastrac 1135 ?

My Cuz runs fasttracks for a contracting business and they are expensive to maintain.

10K isn't much for a tractor or is it 10k + trade in, Id go big 6 cylinder and consider qa ford/ new holland 7810 ro 7840. Some of them old girls were fast on the road and reliable, but they hold their money, I'v just traded a 7740 in on a P reg and got 8k for it and she had done a lot of work and looked like it. David Tunstall tractors has a huge range of second hand tractors http://www.tunstalltractors.com/ 

Have run a ford 7840 sl dual power for 16years now carrying a bryce Suma for the last 8 years, simple engineering ,parts are relatively cheap good access to cab, if you work alone this matters if you are jumping on and off for every post . Fitted a loader 3 years since with pallet forks. Great machine and still worth 75% of what I paid for it !!

Ah assuming it's more trailer and general duty machine. The longer wheelbase jd 50 series and the newhollands are a good ride with front end more sure footed.

The case 5140 is a good choice as well.

watch the closed centre hydraulics on the old jd 50 series, I had a 2650 and it was a good little tractor but hydraulics were very juddery on long hydraulic functions like rockspike ram etc. I then had a 6800 which was far better and within your price range just, I had a 5150 too for a couple of years and hydraulics on those are a minefield. my one was low hours and not very special although a lot of people swear by them. If I were you I would look at a john deere 6300 upwards and if you need to, spend a bit more money as it will pay in the long run. Old fastracs are cheap for a reason and not very manouverable but this is only my opinion

I have a new holland 7840 and it is a good reliable tractor i have had some issues with electrics over the years but on the whole is a great tractor.I would prefer one without all the electrics just for postdriving but for other work its handy.A nice tidy 10 series ford is a good bet or even a massey 3085 or similar they are very cheap for what they are.

Archived