Opinions on RG 30 Kubota units

Andy from Protech described them to me as the 135 of the tracked dumpers, they wont set the world alight but are pretty bomb proof. I have had mine for nearly 4 years and expect it to start every morning and run all day and it does. Just keep it well serviced

Very good machine tipped ours over twice and left it stranded in a river over night till it could be rescued ,(machine is great just idiot operators including me) the sealed bearings in the track rollers did give up quite often but that's about all.

I forgot to mention how cheap they are to run, can do a good 10 hours of knocking and burn about 15 litres of diesel! Also loads of materials storage on the machine and not much money to buy. I find the morooka much more powerful but burns a bit more fuel. If you have anything bigger than a p22 on the back a morooka or similar would be more stable, also a very good machine

Agree with you guys. Good on fuel. Bit of a plodder but will do what a tractor can't. We put a weight frame/ tow hitch on the front and extendable weight frame on the side so when we are on a side slope we can slide it out and it makes hell of a difference. A lot safer. Would be lost without it now.

When I was looking for a base dumper I was advised to avoid the yanmar cr30 due to the bottom rollers being smaller than the rg30 and that the chassis isn't as strong, if it's not reinforced it will buckle with a knocker on it..... Got the rg30 nothing flash but does everything that I've asked of it!! No complaints here!!

Much appreciated for the feedback guys, funny enough it hasn't got a protech chapper on but a vector. Looking like I'm biting the bullet, increasing thew workload and thought running two chappers would be handier. Plus I can as charlie said, run it on my own on smaller jobs whilethe other bloke can be nailing up or stapling.

So rg30 or a morooka mst300?

Feedback much appreciated aswel!

Has anyone ever fitted their own bopper (chapper) to a unit?

There's a fairly tidy looking rg30 online at the moment, just seems a lot of the tracked units are up north!

Anything specific to look for, play in certain places, engine faults?

Thankyou

Had a mate who fitted a three point linkage to a yanmar cr30. Worked very well he said as he could either use his series 3 king hitter or if it got awkward he had an inline vector banger he could swap over. The yanmar was getting a bit tired so he bought a nearly new hitachi 3 tonner. Fitted a separate pump for hydraulics and banger, cable controls and the three point linkage from the other machine. Think in its previous life it was a front linkage of a 7840. He is really pleased with how it's turned out and how he can swap bangers to suit the job. Took quite a bit of time to get it right but the end result was worth it. I run a Protech p22 on an rg30. It's brilliant.

I have both and the morooka is the superior machine and is bigger and more stable, I have a p400s on it and its just big enough to handle that. The rg30 is a bit smaller and cheaper to buy and handles the p22 with 300kg weight fine but easy to tip if working with the weight down hill as is the morooka.The Rg30 has more materials carrying capacity(without a swing round knocker) and is lighter and burns less fuel but doesn't have so much power. I bought the rg30 about 4 years ago and mounted my wrag penna knocker on it and it was ok, I made an adaptor frame that fits on the dumper to take a 3 point linkage knocker to which I still have. I had the pumps upgraded but were too big and they took a lot of power away and we adapted the linkage so you could drive it from the back. I used this for about 2 years and then bought a p22 kit from protech with all the bits it needed including pumps, cable controls, hydraulic park brake etc and went to pick it up so whilst I was there they could show me how to fit it.

It was relatively simple to fit and I made a new post rack to suit and it made it a far better machine and a lot less stress on the engine. However I would now recommend getting protech to do the lot and then you can add bits to suit afterwards, for what they charge and taking into account your own time there wont be anything in it and it will turn up and you can get on and use it. (there is a lot to be said for that I can assure you!)

Weight is another factor as the morooka and p400 weighs nearly 4 tons and the rg30 is about 2.8.

If your near kent and want have a look at both I would be more than happy to show you.

Ive built a few machines up over the years and modified a few. Last one was on a kubota with a vector knocker on that came in kit form. Very easy to put together. We had to fit a bigger hydraulic pump though. Also worked on a mitsubushi Ld400 which is similar to a marooka. It had a front linkage off a john deere on the back which we fitted a bryce suma profi and lster a vector contractor 4 to it.

First of all thanks for the feedback from everyone!

I'm torn,

I want something with at least 120 degrees of slew, a rock spike, 200-300kg weight, stable on steep ground( either a front weight or stake carrier or wire unwinder along with something on the side for counter balance) ,and I want to be able to tow it with the truck?

Is that unrealistic weight wise?

Or should I go bigger like the ld400 or morooka?

That is unrealistic to tow behind a truck, my rg30 with p22 and 300kg weight and rockspike with no counterweight and no slew is about 2.8t with nothing on it.The morooka with 350kg weight 120 degree slew and rockspike is nearer 4 tons. I have both the same bumpers on both machines with post racks that lift off and are interchangeable which are light and easy to take off as you don't always want much hanging over the front. Going bigger like the ld400 makes them quite clumsy with not such good visibility and not good in confined spaces, good for open country but wouldn't say a good all rounder.

Would agree, won't get all those features for the weight. Have had 2 x rg30 based Protech tracked knockers over last 8 yrs that were pushing limit of legal begind truck, went to a unimog with trailer 2yrs ago so I didn't worry about weight and as benefit can move basher and digger and materials at same time, big change. Dug deeper last year and traded to an Evo2 wth slew, expandable tracks, front expanding post frame and wire unroller, 400kg weight, spike, remote control for tracks. Had it 8 months now and I have to say although running a mog (or even a lorry if we had to) is a pain I would not want to be without it ever again. Can get to small access bits with expanding tracks and slew and big enough capacity and Balance for big jobs and carry a days worth onboard if long way from good access. Well worth the investment for us. Weighs 3.9t

I built a three point to fit my Yanmar C50 and hung a Vector model 4 on it.  My next machine will be much lighter and not based on a Yanmar dumper.  The large machine is great on large jobs, but when the cattle market falls off, we find ourselves on lots of smaller jobs where a smaller machine would be handier.   It came with a crane, so the additional aux hydraulic pump was already in place.  We have an IHI dealer a couple hundred miles away, so that's what I'm leaning toward to base my next driver off of.

Archived