hard digging clause ?

digga

hi  just finished a nightmare of a job  stock fence  there was so  much  buried rubbish  rubble  metal old fence wire .

job took ages and was a price  job :-( . know you win some and loss some but was wondering  if any of you  put a clause in your quotes for  hard digging or similar stuff that might be unseen  term and conditions ?  worked my nuts off and earnt the grand total of £33 per day ouch 

hi  just finished a nightmare of a job  stock fence  there was so  much  buried rubbish  rubble  metal old fence wire .

job took ages and was a price  job :-( . know you win some and loss some but was wondering  if any of you  put a clause in your quotes for  hard digging or similar stuff that might be unseen  term and conditions ?  worked my nuts off and earnt the grand total of £33 per day ouch 

I know what you mean, think we've all done it at one stage. Only suggestion is to ether charge them a little bit more on the original quote, even if the job doesn't entail any hard digging. Just covers you a bit then, I've had the same on a job before...."Only a couple of inches of concrete round the post", more like a couple of feet!! 

Can be a ****** when you get a job like that. Does the £33 a day profit have to cover tools used ie tractor and knocker etc. If so in real terms you have probably lost money.

If you think the job is going to be tricky, (difficult ground conditions) either suggest an hourly rate a put a good price in and hope it's not as bad.

Probably won't be the last time you get a pig of a job but will make you appreciate the easier one.

was no sign the job was going to be tricky if there had of been would have brought it up with the customer  when quoting . defiantly lost money on it when taking into account the strainers and posts i smashed  trying to  get them in   had post thumper there . gave up  trying to work out to the penny what i earnt or lost as was getting to depressing  but still wasnt going to cut corners  jobs done to a standard im happy with .

not my first   bad  job and  defiantly  wont be my last for sure   just wondering if any1 trys to put something in there paperwork  to  cover there back a bit with out scaring off the customers 

Hi digga,

I am afraid I can't console you. We don't generally have anything in our quoted regarding hard ground or extra work. The only time there would be something is if I think there may be a problem. I know one chap who adds that if ground needs rock spiking he adds x per metre. I know a lot of the ground round us and we are lucky, very rarely have a rock spike. I have though been to jobs and it's not gone well and I have had to swallow it. I think if I try and charge more than quoted customers wouldn't be happy. But never tried it.

I think we've all had these situations .. And you learn from them but basically no one knows what's down there until you start digging or banging a post in and thats just the risk you take doing this job with the hope that the good ones far out way the bad ones, we don't have any kind of clause for difficult ground just one of those things .. Just hope your next job flys along Digga ....!!!

Yes I'm like you Front Row. Once quoted if it gets tough just got to suck it up and not compromise on your own standards. Otherwise even if you come out of it alright you will always look back at the job and think did I really do that. We had it the other way once quoted for standard length timber and ended needing 10' strainers and long stakes. What I have done in the past when I wasn't sure about the ground was give a minimum and maximum price it would be. Giving the minimum price as what you really think it's going to be then when client gets the bill and its towards the lower end of the scale they are happy but also you have the back up of the higher price should you need it. Or like Ajmoore says hourly rate. Fair for everyone. Usually if it gets really rocky and the client turns up I hand them our bar ( 6' long 2" high tensile ) and let them feel the ground conditions. They usually don't hang around and never moan about the bill funny that. Being doing it for over 25 years and still get caught out

I'm on one right now.  Not hard ground, just lots of misleading by the customer prior to our arrival.   Trim a few limbs he said.  I pushed out trees for 11 hours today, and then hit the county water main on the second post.   The water company was off by  3' on their locate.   I  always finish the job for the bid price.  I hate when people raise the price on me, so I don't do it to my customers.  I'll make a note of it, and adjust accordingly next time they call.

ive always  just got on with it  if its a bad  job and hope the next  one is better to make up for it .but thought i  would ask to see what others do in similar situations  as if you dont ask you dont know . allways willing to take advice and learn new things you can never  know it all and willing to help when i can 

thanks for taking the time to reply guys  

Rock Clause:If any ledge or heavy amounts of rock is

encountered, additonal labor will be charged. Options will

be discussed if encountered.

Nice straight fair talking.

It's the same when car goes to get fixed and other problems are fund. If the garage communicates you respect them more.

If they leave it or fix it and send a surprise bill it damages relationships.

My old boss always told me I should take a pinch bar with me when quoting to test the ground, of course being mid twenties I didn't want to bother with that and paid the price on a few occasions. I still don't take the pinch bar but do always ask clients about the ground and locations of any underground services and explain that the quote is based on their info and we aren't responsible for any damage to undeclared services (confirmed in writing on the bottom of every quote). Almost all are honest or happy to reimburse any extra time if you come across hard or rubbish ground or services they didn't forewarn you of. If you don't ask they would usually say "..oh well you didn't ask, I didn't think about it..". As Goaty says open and honest communication makes for happy clients, and contractors!

We always have on our terms and conditions subject to ground conditions, and let the client know if it is too hard. We also have a rock spike charge as you are putting in the posts twice.

We have all had them learn from it and remember the area, have two farms either side of a road one clay one clay for 12 inches and then sandstone fot the next Xft. Never cut corners but make the client aware as they usually will help or even promote you as the man for the job in you area.

Keep positive the next one will be easier.

Archived