Laser Levels

Markhibberdfencing

Never used mine for agricultural fencing but worth the investment for arenas.

We fitted serval wooden gates over a large site all had to be the same height as  one  existing gate   ground was all over  had no trouble with the laser.

As with any tool bye the best you can afford 

Bought a Leica Rugby 100 about 6 years ago for doing gateways and arenas. Paid £350 for a recon unit online with all the bits, self levelling brilliant bit of kit. Through it in for every gate now, so easy to get everything spot on without any guess work or "will the gate open high enough to clear that?". Use it for domestic panels to get an even drop across the run, and essential for ménage arenas. Helps gives your work a professional image.

I have an ordinary Dewalt one with the extra laser reader and staff, they are super handy for doing a lot of things, once you have it you keep finding uses for it and it saves you lots of time, like setting gate posts in concrete and hanging gates as already described, anything really like the others have said that needs to be dead level from a datum point that may be a way away.

leicia and topcon here, both fantasic and wouldnt be without them, great for gates, menages etc. Both have digital readouts, it does make you a little 'anal' though as you start looking at 3mill as ten inches out! Not sure how or why you would use one stock fencing.

2.5mm ht plain works best for me for getting a straight line on stock fence and baler twine for post and rail. Did a boundary fence a couple of years ago and the owner needed the p&r fence to be exact as was buying from local council on what was public land and knew there would be a lot of attention/objection, so he had a gps team come out to peg the line "exactly". Humble me turned up and raised an eyebrow to the gps, but hey-ho just set out as normal. Funnily enough the strained twine showed the gps pegs to be 4-6" out of straight along the 180m run!! Always makes me chuckle when they ask what survey kit I use and they see me reach for the twine, can't beat the simplest method.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

change my old one last summer for a self levelling unit, cant remember the name but its a subsidiary to leica, bought it from Frank Howard Tools (they have an online shop) came in at 350 plus the vat and we've been really pleased with it. it can also be turned on its side to give a vertical plane.

We use for arenas and double gateways. 

As Pete said you cant often beat a humble stringline for setting out, proved many a "professional" wrong over the years. 

we purchased a Topcon last year with a digital reader can

be used for setting a  fall in drains, levelling for concrete and is a one man operation.

purchased ours at  royal welsh last year they had a good show offer,

Archived