Fencing Trailers

tentman

Gidday Folks

I'm setting up a new Mini Digger post knocker modeled after the one Mark Hibberd has built and operated very successfully.

Its going to need a new trailer and I'm scratching my head as to the configuration (conventional plant/digger trailer or platform/ flatdeck type) and what ideas I can incorporate to make life easier!  I'd love to see pictures or descriptions of your trailers!!

Currently I run a very small welldeck trailer, it has a wooden lid that has very solid cross-members and bolsters at each corner.  My tools travel in bins in the well and I can carry a load (only 500 kgs or so) of posts/timber/wire on top.  Because of the cross-members its easy for the yard guys to load posts with a forklift.  My tools are very secure and stay absolutely dry. If I have big loads of posts most of the yards have a courtesy trailer but I doubt "courtesy" would extend to hauling a digger!

I'm thinking new trailer might be a platform or flatdeck type, the digger and driver will ride on the "top deck", tool bins underneath.  Its likely to be custom built about 4.0m long on deck with 4 bolsters a side.  I see the advantages being that posts etc can easily be unloaded, (remove the bolsters and cut the bindings, they roll off without wrecking mudguards), tools are out of sight and dry(ish) and the higher deck is nice to use as a workbench when you're on the job.  Ground clearance is a lot better for rough farm tracks.  Disadvantages are that its higher to load the digger, and the load is higher when moving.  From what I can tell the tare weight of each type is pretty similar.

The big advantage of a well deck trailer is that it can take stock sides easily and most places are set up at the right height to load/unload whereas platform trailers being a lot less common are often not catered for.

Anyhoo your thoughts would be appreciated and pictures more so!

Cheers

Foster

We use Ifor williams over here. Google them and you will find there website, maybe give you ideas.

We run a gx126 plant trailer, 12 foot long 6 foot wide. We can run long bearers across the top and load from side with forklift if needed, it's a versatile trailer and mesh sides can be added. Lots of options but this works for us for now.

Hello Foster

Is this trailer one you will be towing with a tractor or let's say a pickup truck? I had a twin axle trailer originally and with the weight of the post knocker on one side it would cause blow outs so I changed to a Irish made Nugent tri axle 14ft and no more blow outs,for anyone here considering a new trailer I would recommend taking a look at Nugent trailers very well made,heavier than an Ivor Williams equivalent more metal not that that would help some applications but it sold it for me.Anyway for you Foster I can't add much but in my mind you would want to keep the weight as low as possible for travel,when it comes to tools most of mine are stored on the digger anyway so as soon as your on site you're good to go.All the best for now Mark.

You say that Gordon but I bought a new one last year and thought that but I compared it to an old one and measured the steel and it was exactly the same. I don't think they are the best trailers though but they seem to sell again easily which is a consideration. There is nothing wrong with mine but I think my next trailer will be a brian james 

I've had an indespension trailer for about 12 years it gets used weekly probably. It's a 2600kg plant trailer. It doesn't have that great a capacity having an 8ft X 4ft payload area, it has sufficed for most of my work. We do borrow trailers off farmers to pull behind the tractor occasionally, on their jobs.

This is the modern equivalent http://www.indespension.co.uk/plant-trailers/20-ad2000.html

I paid £1000 less!

It's handy to tow behind the knocker and handles well on the road. The low ride height is good for stability handy for reaching into, the ground clearance not so good on rough terrain. I do get 12ft rails in it and they don't clatter the back of the towing vehicle unless you jackknife it. Wouldn't pull on the road with a full pack, too nose heavy. I realise this won't suit many but thought my views may reveal design features or flaws for the O.P

Gidday Folks

I'm setting up a new Mini Digger post knocker modeled after the one Mark Hibberd has built and operated very successfully.

Its going to need a new trailer and I'm scratching my head as to the configuration (conventional plant/digger trailer or platform/ flatdeck type) and what ideas I can incorporate to make life easier!  I'd love to see pictures or descriptions of your trailers!!

Currently I run a very small welldeck trailer, it has a wooden lid that has very solid cross-members and bolsters at each corner.  My tools travel in bins in the well and I can carry a load (only 500 kgs or so) of posts/timber/wire on top.  Because of the cross-members its easy for the yard guys to load posts with a forklift.  My tools are very secure and stay absolutely dry. If I have big loads of posts most of the yards have a courtesy trailer but I doubt "courtesy" would extend to hauling a digger!

I'm thinking new trailer might be a platform or flatdeck type, the digger and driver will ride on the "top deck", tool bins underneath.  Its likely to be custom built about 4.0m long on deck with 4 bolsters a side.  I see the advantages being that posts etc can easily be unloaded, (remove the bolsters and cut the bindings, they roll off without wrecking mudguards), tools are out of sight and dry(ish) and the higher deck is nice to use as a workbench when you're on the job.  Ground clearance is a lot better for rough farm tracks.  Disadvantages are that its higher to load the digger, and the load is higher when moving.  From what I can tell the tare weight of each type is pretty similar.

The big advantage of a well deck trailer is that it can take stock sides easily and most places are set up at the right height to load/unload whereas platform trailers being a lot less common are often not catered for.

Anyhoo your thoughts would be appreciated and pictures more so!

Cheers

Foster

I'll do you a keen price on an indespension 14' flatbed if you like Foster? Then at least it's flexible and worth something to sell on.

I was thinking today. A local stockist uses them steel frame stillages with cupped feet so they are stackable. This s kind of modular concept could be utilised to prepare all the timber for a job. Strainers stacked on or under intermediates. Access to both sizes and easier to get at rather than the bundled tight exploding packs they come in.

Another winter dream project I'd never realise????

We run 3 Ifor Williams, 2 of them are 14' long and 7'6" wide which enables us to load packs of 2.1m posts a cross the trailer and the other 1 is standard 6'6" wide 14' long which is normally used for rails, all the trailers are tri axle, they wear the tyres out quicker but travel so much better when loaded, we only use 14' trailers so we can get the 3.6 rails on easy with the tools at the front and they are still short enough to get in awkward places, another plus is that the 14' trailers don't have any side marker lights..... 1 less thing to get hit and broken!!

I often put the trailer behind our 15 ton Lorry, as the disco and pick up are 12v and the Lorry is 24 volt it's easier to put a light board on trailer with 24v bulbs in it - a quick fix, obviously if trailer was 16' it would have the side marker lights and they wouldn't be working, an easy pull for vosa!!

Archived