High tensile tie off and snap! Grrr

Isle of Lewis

In a word Yes Don’t use the brand you mentioned but   get it a lot I do end up terminating fences quite a lot a recent 1000 mtr job including gates 26 terminations not every wire snaps but if its say 3 and 5 that break I find it is usually the same at the other end.

Frustrating it most defiantly is  I usually cut the wire back to behind the strainer and crimp a new piece on from the 2.5 roll of plain wire and tie off as usual all takes time and costs the price of a crimp. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's fair enough, but there's nothing worse than working with rubbish quality wire. Often found that if it was snapping when tied off it also wouldn't pull up properly, with 1 or 2 line wires remaining slack. Only way round these problems if you can't change the wire is to use gripples, and t clips instead of tying off, although that soon gets expensive.

Rylock told me it was because they were using recycled scrap to make the wire and that it was causing impurities. They said it wouldn't happen again but in the two months it took them to get back to me I went else where and haven't bought any of that wire since.

Aye and probably if people who took it in and the merchants sorted it better you wouldn't get copper, tungsten, magnesium. Aluminium all mixed together the strength and properties of elements in one application is a weakness in another.

The ram rush commerce of China has not helped metal quality.

Archived