Handling pens

premnayloon

I would like to think that my 20 years experience working in auction markets would help,

The need for shedding gates, the need to curve the races, draw pens, with properly positioned gates, most importantly escape routes or barricades for operatives,

The races are better to be sheeted totally along bother sides, no gaps to see other animals,

Also what to use crash barriers are very commonly used for them.

Done a few over the years.

Used sheets and rails for sheep. timber rail on bottom stop sheep hoof getting caught in sheet. sheet middle rail on top 

also done some in steel Rsj posts  and  fabricating all gates to fit then galvanising for cattle systems combined sheep.

Telegraph poles and crash barriers also work well. 

all depends what the customer whants to spend. 

As Johno said let the farmer say what he wants first  then give him some sugestions of your own. farmers  ideas are not always the best.

I know some people think that handling ensnare better with no corners, i certainly disagree with that, and yes cattle are notorious for boring in about corners, however it is often the wild cattle that go right into the corners, which is the the only way sometimes to draw them off, I would recommend to those constructing the pens to leave at least one corner, us drovers would appreciate it

Done our first this year. All brand new materials cost a fortune, over 230 hours labour. Rails bolted on with greased threaded studding, nuts countersunk. Should be quick if it needs repair.

3 potential pens with race at one side and plinth for handling crush.

9"x9"X 8' posts four rails 6x2 dimension. Stokbord lined race. That stuff flexes and expands chronic in the varying temperatures. Four Gates, hurdles to link together to make pens. An achievement but no rush for another just yet.

It would be ideal to make one on the side of a shed, cuts the cost of a whole side. Even better if its the side of the race. Ours was in the middle of parkland.

I know some people think that handling ensnare better with no corners, i certainly disagree with that, and yes cattle are notorious for boring in about corners, however it is often the wild cattle that go right into the corners, which is the the only way sometimes to draw them off, I would recommend to those constructing the pens to leave at least one corner, us drovers would appreciate it

A corner trap can be put in as a temporary or fold back feature. The trick is to make a Swiss Army knife out of it.

The manager designed ours. Everything should be guideable through the race. If they want to trap a particular animal they tend to set up hurdles wherever the beasts are and single that one out rather than drive 50 head and sucklers long distance to pen.

The pen is intended for complete herd handling.

Dr TempalGrandin she is autistic but she designs handling system for large abattoirs and feed lots in the us her life story is fascinating if you are interested in that sort of thing

Was taught Grandin's understanding of cattle when I was at college and much more by the ranchers in the US when worked there for 2 yrs, she has an awesome understanding of how they think and act, well proven out there on a large scale.

We have a simple loading pen design that we use often.  Like has been said, the customer needs to be in on the design of working facilities and pens.  We use quite a bit of guardrail and oil field pipe for material.  As far as getting a design that works, I have a box of toy cattle, fence panels, working chute, etc of my daughters that I will take to my customers so they can build the miniature version and actually "work" cattle through it.  It's important to demand that the customer draw it to scale for you as well.  There is nothing worse than a customer pointing in all directions while they talk a million miles an hour.......and then ask if you understand. 

Archived