Permanent electric fence for horses

Ajmoore1

Hi.

Been asked to quote for a fencing job. The client doesn't want any type of wire netting but wants a permanent electric fence. My only experience with doing electric is using 2.5mm ht wire which I have done quite a bit for cattle.

What wire would you recommend for horses and how many strands? Also what spacings for the posts, for the cattle we use 6m.

Any advise appreciated

Cheers

Look on tornados web site for centaur white lightning electric wire, its 2.5mm ht covered in plastic basicly but still electrified. I've done some with two wires and works a treat.

Edit; there is actually a picture in my Morgan fencing album, along with some stud rail

We recently done some 3 rope electric fencing posts at 4m spacing's we created 16 1/4 acre paddocks for a customer.

It depends on what your customer is looking for some like to tell you what they want and others want you to tell them!

In past experience horsey people like the rope as it lasts longer than tape and it is more visible than wire to the horses.

I would suggest 3.10 mm plain line, more visible as John suggested certainly the horsey folk prefer this.

I would have no problem 6 mtr spacing for electric lines. However I am surprised you are spacing cattle and sheep fence at those spacing, I don't go more than 3 mtr, the farmers would simply take a fit, they like to have posts close together

I would suggest 3.10 mm plain line, more visible as John suggested certainly the horsey folk prefer this.

I would have no problem 6 mtr spacing for electric lines. However I am surprised you are spacing cattle and sheep fence at those spacing, I don't go more than 3 mtr, the farmers would simply take a fit, they like to have posts close together

Farmers need educating. Move with the times like machinery, used to be 2m power harrows 3...4... Now 6.

Simply it works, it's cost effective. As long as least one wire is highly visible

Its mentioned elsewhere but uk countrywide are worth a look at for anything electrical.

Customers choice really, horses don't like electric, and unlike cattle where there is a high turnover of young stock (new animals who don't know about the fence) the chances are the horses will be there for a king time, they will learn very quickly and won't forget!

• 3 weeks later...
For large horses we recommend having three fence rows set at heights of around 50 cm, 95 cm and 140 cm. 

For small horses we recommend three rows at around 45 cm, 75 cm and 120 cm.

Due to its high visibility and low risk of injury, we recommend electric ropes or tapes.

A simple electric rope with a resistance of 3.45 ohm/m should suffice for a shorter fence (up to about 200 m).

For longer fences we recommend low resistance conducting material - 0.07–0.104 ohm/m.

Archived