Tractors

HullFencing

having been using my brother in laws 2015 Claas Axos for post driving duties for the past year (ive been a little bit spoiled!!) im now finding myself in need of purchasing my own.

I would be intereted to know what others are running  - pros and cons etc. im looking ideally around the 10k mark for 40k box, 4wd preferably with front linkage or even better a loader. 

Im finding myself looking at the likes of massey ferguson 3095, 6150 and case 5140 / 5150

Ford 7840SLE or 8340SLE very reliable getting on a bit very litle to go wrong with these models ran a 7840 for many years

.I know these models will clock high hours and fairly cheep to repair as not many electics in them .

Or a newholland TS115 SLE  very reliable this replaced the 7840.   as you gather im a Blue man at heart. 

above mentioned ar six cylider and around the 110 hp +  will handle a post knocker with ease.

I used to have a 5150, ok tractor but bad when hydraulics start playing up and big wide rear wings which doesn't help with visibility to the knocker when out the side. Masseys are ok too but if was looking for a tractor in that price range I would sooner have a john deere 66/6800, these are very good machines. I had a 6800 for a couple of years and it was a good tractor. If you spend a little more you could have a p22 tracked knocker?

I don't know what Massey 5445's go for over there but I've had mine for nearly two years now and it handles my 1.4 tonne Kinghitter with confidence.  However with a loader and grapple the all up weight is an astonishing 7.1 tonnes, which is something to consider if you work a lot in soft going.  Being able to adjust the "split" in the hydraulics between lift and auxiliary from the back is a great boon (you can still lift from the rear buttons, but speed up the monkey if you want).

Over here Massey's with a model number beginning with "3" have been tractors to generally avoid according to my brother-in-law (who is a Massey nut -19 at last count) - sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings!

I'm a green man (jd) not the fancy light Green ones . Like mike said the 6000 series are good .what I have found is dealer back up is almost more important than the colour of the tractor with good reliable fitters who know the machines . Years ago when I started I had 5130 case nice tractor but had a fuel problem so it went to the dealer they had it 10 days I had bill for just under 1 k and the only part was a length of fuel pipe .. Wasn't impressed .

thanks for the opinions, i was of the opinion that the 51 series case may be a little on the large size and peoples general opinions on masseys seem greatly varied.

need to up my budget to get a decent 6400 or 6600 JD round my way but may be the way to go.

As much as i love the idea of a tracked machine its too much of a one trick pony for me at the moment, we have land at home and the versatility of a tractor for dragging loads to site etc as well will be usefull, the other problem is that we have fairly regular VOSA checks around our way and i think as soom as they were to see a P22 behind a pickup they would have a field day!

I don't fence with a tractor, and I live a little bit out of your neighborhood........But I would definitely consider parts availability and technical support into the budget. In this neck of the woods we have more John Deere dealerships than we do towns. Combine that with good resale value, and it's easy to see why we use green tractors on the farm. I have a 6310, which I know is available there, and we use it every day to feed cattle/make hay/light tillage with great success. Good luck in your search!

thanks for the opinions, i was of the opinion that the 51 series case may be a little on the large size and peoples general opinions on masseys seem greatly varied.

need to up my budget to get a decent 6400 or 6600 JD round my way but may be the way to go.

As much as i love the idea of a tracked machine its too much of a one trick pony for me at the moment, we have land at home and the versatility of a tractor for dragging loads to site etc as well will be usefull, the other problem is that we have fairly regular VOSA checks around our way and i think as soom as they were to see a P22 behind a pickup they would have a field day!

Agreed. Tracked needs to be constantly in use. I couldn't sell the tractor as I'd still need it to tow tracked machine and probably buy a beefy trailer to tow it.

Tracked is great we've got a bryce 180 and (3 tractor mounted Bryces) but still find the tractor / knocker set up invaluable as we do a lot of repairs on 3 local estates (as well as new fencing) and if I started again I would still go for a tractor / knocker set up first as you don't know where your Bussiness will take you , also if your Bussiness grows and you find you need a tracked machine you've got the means to move it if you go for a heavyer tracked one .

• 3 months later...

So back to this topic! after lots of looking and viewing a few "slightly" mis-advertised tractors i have come to the conclusion that 90% of tractor dealers are bigger rogues than backstreet car dealers!

but.... there was light at the end of the tunnel and early part of next week we have a 1999 Massey 6180 arriving, turned up at a local dealer, 4400 hours, one owner, off an arable farm and as close to immaculate as an 18 year old tractor can be  :D

will try and post a few pics.

Tidy looking tractor, like yourself i have  been looking for a tractor for a while now and like yourself have now found one that fits the bill. i have gone down the green route, John Deere 6610 will post some pics when we get it ready for work. Do you manage ok without loader or front linkage, trying to find front linkage for 6610, seems there isnt one in UK, or if there is fekin dealers cant be bothered replying to emails. So the search continues

There great old work horses. My bro in law has a 6170 and it's seen of various newer massys and just keeps going. Tried buying it of him a couple of times but he won't part with it.

ST61. You tried Nick young tractor parts. Not much jd gear he hasn't got or knows where to get. I had an old 3350 round cab and he kept that going for years after it should have retired with parts I couldn't get anywhere else

Tractor sales reps are the biggest bunch of good-for-nothings I have come across I have no idea how they earn their money if it’s of the back of new tractors then I would sack the lot and probably knock a huge percentage of new machines.

I spent nearly 8 weeks looking for a suitable tractor after I sold the green machine.

Budget up to £40k for the wright machine  money waiting left details with dealers from Penrith to Nottingham only one  got back and he hadn’t got a tractor but might know where there was one.

I did eventually track one down after a lot of miles looking at several tubs.

Nice clean looking tractor   treat it to new oil and filters all-round the hydraulics work hard in the summer the oil gets hot. 

There great old work horses. My bro in law has a 6170 and it's seen of various newer massys and just keeps going. Tried buying it of him a couple of times but he won't part with it.

ST61. You tried Nick young tractor parts. Not much jd gear he hasn't got or knows where to get. I had an old 3350 round cab and he kept that going for years after it should have retired with parts I couldn't get anywhere else

Yes i did try them, and they kindly replied saying if anything came in would get in touch

Tidy looking tractor, like yourself i have  been looking for a tractor for a while now and like yourself have now found one that fits the bill. i have gone down the green route, John Deere 6610 will post some pics when we get it ready for work. Do you manage ok without loader or front linkage, trying to find front linkage for 6610, seems there isnt one in UK, or if there is fekin dealers cant be bothered replying to emails. So the search continues

Thanks, i was originally after something with loader or linkage as the claas we have been using has a loader and it is fairly handy, but every loader tractor i looked at was shot, i figured i was better off buying something like this and finding a second hand loader or fitting linkage.

Archived