Drivall or sledgehammer/mell ?

tommy7840

Horses for courses, I fence quite a bit in the bush (forest to you guys I suppose) here and its bloody hard to swing a hammer or maul, so a driver gets the nod, but nothing beats the maul to get the job done quick.  If anyone fancies a holiday down under I'll save a job up for you that requires my "mankiller" driver, we use it for up to 5" deer posts and its hard to find a young guy who is willing . . . . and able

I tried the drivall the other day on a garden job and i soon got the sledge hammer out!!! ive ordered a new mell with the large aluminium head with a wooden handle which will be better than a sledge.I find the drivall is slow as you have to take it off the post to see if it is straight and lifting it on and off is hard work after a while.

I prefer the drivall, or slave as I call it.

The pros are easier to keep post straight. Physically its easier on your body

Repeat both techniques just with nothing in your hands and see what tire you out quickest!

Also the maul can split the post tops.

If I use the slave. I always go round with the maul after giving chaos to any higher ones

We made our own drivall years ago but we have hardly used it!!! Most people seem to prefer it to the mell/maul though.Its what you get used too i suppose.The job we have just done we had to work on top of a small wall so the height for using a mell was in our favour somewhat.

Archived