Mini Digger size

ffencing

I'm looking to buy a new mini digger, have previously owned a 1.5t machine used primarily with an auger torque X1500 drive unit. It didn't always have the power to get through some of the stony ground I fence on.

How much better would a 2.5-3t machine be? Also have some groundworks to do, is it feasible to use a 2.5t machine to clear a site for a new shed etc?

Looking forward to your experiences and thoughts!

I'm just pricing up for a new Volvo ecr25d to replace our ec20, which is actually a 1.8t with spreading tracks which makes it very stable and useful, been so impressed with it over last few years that will stick with Volvo). Had the ecr25 on demo and was impressed with its stability with our selector grab for clearing and using the auger and p10 knocker. I would prefer the ec27 which weighs 2.8t and had even more power and lift capacity than the 25 but even without buckets and mud it's overweight on every trailer we looked at. Think 2.5t is the biggest you can effectively get around with buckets & attachments etc and be legal on a truck trailer.

Are you towing it behind a truck or lorry/tractor?

I have got a bobcat e45 which has plenty of power and reach, will handle a good sized post knocker and augers through anything. I can fit in on the low loader with the knocker and you can load into a lorry/dump trailer easily. I was looking at a 3t but still couldn't tow it behind the truck so thought I might as well go a bit bigger as not much difference in price and you can do a lot more with it.

Archived