Mortise and tenon joint on chestnut struts

pencoed

Really appreciate the responses to my other posts on the deer fence saga. Good community here.

The contractor I'm working with has historically done fencing for sheep. I'm working with him on a deer fence using chestnut. He suggested fixing struts by nail however the photos I've seen online are mostly of mortice joints. I asked him about this and he concerned with water getting in though I'm sure there's a reason for the mortice and tenon join in terms of strength and longevity.

Can anyone offer sound advice on this. Is the mortise joint way to go? If so what's the easiest and most effective way to cut both the tenon on the strut and the mortise within the strainer?

Ta

I would not nail, indeed I would rather not use a stay,

I notch mine with a chainsaw, then chisel out the waste wood,

I creosote the notch and the nose of the stay,

There is no right and wrong way to cut notch,

But for me notch should help to stop any twist, keep stay straight on the strainer.

As above, and much tidier than cutting a notch and once its in it cant move. When chain sawing out the mortice to start with keep the bar tip up and engine down and go in at this angle as it is less likely to run up the post. Also be mindful of where all the knots are on your strainer and try and keep them on the opposite side when knocking in the post as they can be a ***** when it comes to chisel

Yup as said above, cut two slots with the saw then chisel out top and bottom.

No need to creosote with Chestnut as you are only exposing more heartwood. 

Avoid nailing, especially for the box strainers. Chestnut + nails is a interesting mix, if you do go for nails make sure you predrill everything.

If you run a carving bar (not an extreme one, tip needs to be 2" plus) on your saw you can cut all four sides on the mortise on the post (be very careful and wear safety equipment, boring with the tip is always hazardous) and one flick with you hammer claw and its out.

I hardly ever do anything other than box stays as I can do one faster than I can a angle strut.

There are several ways to do the joint and everyone thinks their way is "right" but its dammed funny because I've come across many good fencers who have their own "right way" that's different to the last guy  I saw!!

Don't start me on right and wrong ways to put in a stay!

I think my technique, the wedge system is as effective as any way, but many on here doubt its effective,

Red stag, has seen me do one, and will vouch for its solidity he will also tell you how bloody labour intensive my system is,

Archived