Stock fence with top rail.

Ajmoore1

Hi

I am quoting for a a stock fencing job. It is on a mixed farm of beef and sheep. The majority of the fencing is following a hedgerow and i have suggested 3m spacing between intermediate posts and ht 8/80/22 and 2 strands of barb wire. They are happy with this.

There is one length, 158m that divides two fields with no hedge row so i suggested putting the posts bit closer at 2.5m spacing's which they are happy with. They have asked if i can put a rail on the top to make it more visible to the cattle. I explained if I use a rail i will either have to alter the spacing to suit

. I will be using 3 1/2 inch round posts so would i be better to use 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch 12ft rails putting the spacings at 6ft or 4 x 2inch  16 ft rails at 8 ft spacing's?

How secure will we get the rails on 3 1/2 inch posts or is it worth upgrading them to 4inch rounds?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Jon

What I do is if doing 3.6mtr rails,

I measure out a post at either 1.7 or 1.75 mtrs and mark them then chap this mneans your Rail will always fit as the distance is always less than 3.6 it just means a- you always have a wee bit to cut of every rail,

B) if you have the odd rail is shorter as I have on more occasions than I have expected it us usable

c) it allows you a slight adjustment if post position if need be,

If you look on my gallery all my post and rail jobs I do this think it comes out fine.

Hmmm - if your UK cattle are anything like ours in NZ the cap rail will last 5 minutes, I reckon cattle think a rail is like a sparred fence for a hunt that they have to jump - and when they do they seem to always take the rail out.  And thats if you're lucky, they'd rub it to bits in another 5 minutes.

Funny how things vary regionally, here we never do sight lines for cattle but frequently for horses (and they chew rails to bits).

Have you considered using electric fencing, one of my regular costomers breeds Limousin cattle and winter grazes sheep he needed to divide up a field so we used ht lamb safe netting two strands of barb with 1.8m 75/100 posts at 3m intervals but also ran a 2.5mm ht electric along the top on both sides on off set insulators, worked a treat I recon we did it about 5 years ago and I was quoting there this weekend and it's still doing it job well which surprised me considering how feisty his cattle are...!

I saw some Horse Rail from Centaur in the Tornado warehouse.  They also make a product called Hot Rail if you wanted to electrify the top.  Both products are a little spendy, but would make a  durable and attractive solution to your problem.  12' is the farthest I've ever spaced my intermediates with the Horse Rail product, and 5 years later it still looks new.

• 3 months later...

Archived