Fair rate for re posting a fence?

Matt on the Moors

I have a customer who had loads of fencing done (not by me) several years ago.

I have been asked to replace all the rotten stakes- the wire is still in good condition and tight for the most part.

What do you think a fair price is labour only to do this? Id ideally like to give a price per post as it's an easy figure to use.

Will involve removing old post, installing new and stapling up. Several fields to do like this, some of it is pretty steep and only really accessible with a digger an post driver

Cheers chap-ers!

Not easy to quantify. I spent a few days doing this last summer and did it by hour rate.

You don't feel like you've done much for the time it takes, the reality is you've almost put a new fence up with extra hassle.

Bearing in mind the wire outlay isn't involved if you charged normal rate per metre it's still cheaper than a new fence.

Do you have the stockade staplemate? It will half the destapling time.

Do. You have rotten posts to dispose of?

I don't have to dispose of old rotten stakes- but will have to move them to a collection point on the farm. Strainer posts are generally sound, so it's just a price to reinstall intermediates.

No staple gun, thinking of the most efficient way to do it, I would go along and knock all the new stakes in next to the old ones, then go along and staple up, then pull out old one- by which time the new posts will be supporting the wire which should make it easier to get the old posts/staples out,

Goaty- how many replacements would you say you achieved within an hour.?

I have actually just priced a job, there weren't many to do I think 30 intermediates and 3 strainers. I have charged 30.00 per strainer and 5 quid a post. The strainers will be the worst, but the wire is so old it's not tight, so it's not to much of a problem. I am hoping to get it done with one man in a morning, there is also other works to do on site, so we will make up the day with that. I must admit I don't really want the job.

When we did it the girl student drove tractor(competant operator) and i operated knocker. The old posts were already taken off and we towed trailer with new posts on back of knocker.

It was hit and miss allover a parkland. I chucked rotten posts on trailer as we past as well.

Another farm worker followed stapling.

Probably 25-30posts an hour. Easy soft ground. As already mentioned alot of time & motion wasted compared to banging 200+ posts and strainers in 4-5 hours.

Probably £30 an hour for me tractor and knocker. Cant remember.

£50/hour or £4 per post and aim for 150 posts a day.

You'll knock 25 posts in an hour, by yourself @£2/post and then you'll need to unstaple and restaple up posts after @£2/post. £30/strainer? And tensioning up again £20?

We did some last week and did it on a day rate basis. 2 men and tractor /banger with pick up and trailer to drop out new and pick up old. £395/day. There was steep work involved and that always take longer. Yes with day rate you are not going to make big money but also you aren't going to lose any. You get some double strutted corners to replace and the work rate will take a dive. We never do repairs on a price as you never know what you are going to find. But that's only my view and it's everyone to their own.

No Matt I don't we run a valtra and a Protech tracked machine. If it's a same and a Protech on the back it's probably Robert and Malcolm Truscott. They do a lot of work got the Duchy. Top men. We rarely break out over the border !!!! Where abouts on the moor are you ?

I have just been doing a similar job. Best to price it by the hour as depends how much travelling between posts. I have just gone over approx 200 acre shaking posts and replacing any that snapped. Luckily the majority is single strand electric fence so no destapling. Surprising how much time it takes though. I did 100 posts and four strainers in 2 days. 

Much prefer putting up new fence as you cant really see a lot of difference when your done.

I wondered if you were Robert Trusscott? That's what I was asking in a roundabout way! Thought Mr T.... I spoke to him once on phone as when I bought my Dorado I was concerned about weight of the knocker on a relatively small tractor- dealer said phone mr Trusscott and his advice was spot on.

I'm on Dartmoor- up on the top at Princetown, yet to do a job in Cornwall (unless you count Gunnislake!) so I doubt you'd see me on your patch. Take it your near Bodmin moor somewhere?

Archived