strainer caps ?

Pete

Hi there, recently put up a barbed wire fence and unfortunately I had to cut the top of the strainers down a bit, due to the tree rooted nature of the ground. What are everyone's thoughts on making up a *cap* for the top ? I've been eyeing up some old lead flashing that we got laying around, is it legal to use it ? I remember seeing it on gate posts into fields years ago, but not recently, is it ,that preservatives are now so good, or is it that we no longer can be bothered to do it ? I was also wondering if it would stop the top of the post rotting downwards, as we have several that have lost their tops or hollowed out about 9 inches down,( nice for the birds to nest in though ) We do on occasion have stock in the field and was wondering about the safety aspect of using lead caps ? would it be better just to retreat the top of post with preservative ? any advice appreciated.

Hi Pete,

Not sure on the legal aspect of it, but round here if you put lead on a gate post top, i don't think it would last five minutes, especially if visible from a road. If we ever have to cut tops of for any reason. We generally cut them on an angle to turn water and cover in plenty of treatment. If a field was far enough away from the road i think the lad lead tops lok really nice, but just a shame when they get nicked.

Hi Pete,

Not sure on the legal aspect of it, but round here if you put lead on a gate post top, i don't think it would last five minutes, especially if visible from a road. If we ever have to cut tops of for any reason. We generally cut them on an angle to turn water and cover in plenty of treatment. If a field was far enough away from the road i think the lad lead tops lok really nice, but just a shame when they get nicked.

Don't think they going to be to visible from the road, was just worried about cows trying to pull them off or lick them, not our cows you see. Don't want  angry farmer getting upset. lol

• 2 months later...

Archived