Money

Ringfencing

No in my opinion, I feel it you as the worker agree to doing something my hour or meter than you accept that that is the method by which the final bill is calculated.

Would it work the other way around you did 9 hours but decided to round it down to 8 to keep it a day. No- thought not!

Being self employed you decide how you work- if customer doesn't want to do a day rate- give them a price per job- which is what I nearly always do so there can be no disagreements.

Just my thoughts- like.

It's actually something that comes up a lot. I'm honest and straightforward. I've been self employed over 15 years. Much of that as a relief HGV truck driver. I used to round up or down to nearest 15 minutes. Now I use an app on the phone that's to the penny and minute.

I am reliable and my demand is much higher than what I do trucking. I have worked alongside those that charge minimum 8 hour day rate. They tend to be takers as well, nicking diesel, skiving in lay-bys. Pop home to mrs and leave truck parked outside etc. Whilst the rest of us get the work done. The people they drive for expect them to be available and hang around washing truck off or other work for the 8 hours. It's an expected obligation.

Whereas I go as soon as I'm not needed and go and do some fencing or work of my own such as maintainence.

The problem is people think only of themselves. They want the best of employment and self employment.

I've had to lump some tough times. Once 3 months no one could pay me because it was a "Recession" another month caring for my wife after a serious accident. Again no income or financial sympathy from any one I worked for. That is the risk and reality of being self employed. Take good with the bad.

My suggestion to deal with those that want to skive off on pay is provide alternative work, tidy the yard. Weed your garden at home or whatever. You are then giving them the choice. Any decent grafter can go home chop some logs , decorate or something like that if he really is that desperate for money.

Thanks goaty ,its some thing I have to address I'd rather pay for the tractor to be cleaned or the truck or a proper tidy up at the yard , but we do a lot of hourly repair work for a few big farms and hours can easily get inflated , but if I think the hours arnt right I suffer the cost and bill for what's right. It just niggles me because fair is fair .

I'm with you guys. If they were employed by you and you sent them home early that's your lookout. But to be self employed and round the hours up after an early finish is taking the mick. I would be concerned what else they may or may not be doing. There's always something they could do. If they are going to be like that I would send them back to the yard and sharpen/clean tools etc etc. I bet if you asked them to push on to finish a job they wouldn't round the hours down !!!

I am with the above,

Self employed you charge for the hours worked. Or do it on a piece rate. Only problem by doing it per metre, it can encourage people to take short cuts to get more done, and hourly can encourage some people to take longer to do a job to spin it out. I think you will find good hard workers will be happy with whatever, they will do their day and bill accordingly, if they want more work they will be fair with you. If they are not fair, then I would say there will be better people to employ.

Archived