Coping with the ground

Isle of Lewis

What kind of ground are you all on? we have no depth, on a good day a foot soil then into hard grey clay or soft peat, many stones some about a foot wide and maybe 3 ft down at times, I see youtube videos of petrol augers drilling out strainer holes! What a dream, I think they would break here! If we don't get down then postcrete is very often the only solution. Postcrete is very expensive here! Wait for it.... £8 a bag!

We have a mixture of solid rounds us, depending where we are working, probably on the whole are quite lucky, but we have a seam of chalk running along the Lincolnshire wolds which is one of our worst areas and a few areas of ironstone.

We do use post Crete but not really on the agricultural work, more on domestic and commercial if required. But I wouldn't like to be using it at the prices, we buy a pallet at a time from a quarry near us and we are £2.65 per bag + vat.

Petrol augers we do have one, but not often we use it, but when we do its invaluable. We also have a kanga with an auger on it and that is a great bit of kit too.

We have a mixture of grounds here, we have got patches of flint and chalk though. The biggest problem we got is tree roots...........lots and lots of tree roots, that's if you can get under the trees with a bumper, in the first place, the other  problem is that it is quite hilly here, oh for some lovely flat root free ground.

• 8 months later...

Archived