Jump to content

Gas powered pounder


Thegoatman22
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, West Fork Fence said:

What you really need, is a mell.  No parts to grease, and no gas to mix. 

Yeah, I have a 12 lbs sledge with a plate and a 40 lbs oversized t post pounder for up to 5 in would posts. We pre drill the holes so they are about  .5 to 1 inch smaller then the post

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thegoatman22 said:

Yeah, I have a 12 lbs sledge with a plate and a 40 lbs oversized t post pounder for up to 5 in would posts. We pre drill the holes so they are about  .5 to 1 inch smaller then the post

 

My driveall weighs in at 95 pounds.  It has to be an emergency to drive a post without help. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, West Fork Fence said:

Drives posts, and reduces overhead while increasing net profit margin. ;-) 

Prolonged operation of a Hammer or Shaver post driver has been known to cause suicidal thoughts as well as sore joints and loss of profit.  

But what does one of those cost? I am hoping to get a tractor with a pounder later this summer. That's the problem with starting a business I have to slowly build up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thegoatman22 said:

But what does one of those cost? I am hoping to get a tractor with a pounder later this summer. That's the problem with starting a business I have to slowly build up.

I believe they are upwards of $50k+ if you can figure out how to get one imported from the UK. The most expensive Shaver out there (HD12 springless) tops out at 7 or $8k. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, oregonfarmfencer said:

I believe they are upwards of $50k+ if you can figure out how to get one imported from the UK. The most expensive Shaver out there (HD12 springless) tops out at 7 or $8k. 

That's about 50 k less then I had assumed. Parts are probably hard to get to. I am thinking a 50 ho tractor with a post pounder. Those fencing machines look cool but a tractor is more versatile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are cool. That 50k number could be low, I'm not sure. I know Iowa farm equipment had a wrag tracked unit for sell about 45-50k on Ebay. 

A lot of contractors use a skid steer. The big disadvantage to that is you have nowhere to carry posts while you are pounding. With a tractor, you can have the pounder on the back and a loader with pallet forks carrying posts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Importing equipment from the UK is easy peasy, just as importing wire is.  You can expect to spend between $50K and $80K, depending on options and make/model.  Track drivers carry plenty of posts, unroll wire, and are considerably more efficient than a tractor or skid steer mounted driver.  I've had several tractor mounted drivers, as well as skid steer mounted drivers, and I can tell you from experience that I would never consider going back to the dark ages.   A tractor is only more versatile if you plan on feeding cows or plowing the garden with your fencing rig.  Buy a tracked driver, and your profit will be enough to keep a tractor around to do the odd jobs......that you won't take, because you are busy making money building fence with proper equipment.   Building a 1/4 mile of net wire fence in an afternoon.....alone......is a chip shot with the right equipment and materials.  It's quite important to do a good job, but having the most efficient and professional equipment possible will generate quite a bit of business in it's self.   Do they look cool?  Sure they do, but that's not why I have them.  What you won't pay a guy to sit in the seat for a year or two will pay for it.  It's a no brainer.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No doubt tracked drivers are the way to go. I won't contest that. We could use the heck out of one. Their availability is just a limiting factor to American fence builders. The import process may be very simple, but the idea of going over to England to pick out and buy a post driver is likely daunting or even unimaginable to Mr. Average Farm Fence Builder from rural America. Until they start showing up at farm equipment dealerships here in the U.S. I don't see them becoming mainstream. And what about demand also? Seems as if their are far more fence builders per capita in the UK than here in the U.S. Which would explain why they are light years ahead of us in fencing technology. The cost shouldn't be an issue. If you think about it not much more than a new pickup truck or skid steer would cost, and plenty of fencing companies have 3 or 4 of those.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, oregonfarmfencer said:

No doubt tracked drivers are the way to go. I won't contest that. We could use the heck out of one. Their availability is just a limiting factor to American fence builders. The import process may be very simple, but the idea of going over to England to pick out and buy a post driver is likely daunting or even unimaginable to Mr. Average Farm Fence Builder from rural America. Until they start showing up at farm equipment dealerships here in the U.S. I don't see them becoming mainstream. And what about demand also? Seems as if their are far more fence builders per capita in the UK than here in the U.S. Which would explain why they are light years ahead of us in fencing technology. The cost shouldn't be an issue. If you think about it not much more than a new pickup truck or skid steer would cost, and plenty of fencing companies have 3 or 4 of those.   

You are spot on with most of your observations.  We are working on the availability part, and should have that sorted by this fall.  Going to England is cheap and easy.  Plane tickets are cheap, and once you're there, the train goes everywhere.   Food and hotels are cheaper than the states, and contrary to urban legend, the beer is plenty cold.   Not many friendlies in London, but the further north the train goes, the nicer they get.  There happens to be a fencing competition this summer in Worcestershire, and I think they may still be taking applications.   You should consider attending, even if it's only to watch.  A tour of the Tornado factory is quite educational, as well.  I would bet that all of the post driver manufacturers will be in attendance at the fencing comp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thegoatman22 said:

That's about 50 k less then I had assumed. Parts are probably hard to get to. I am thinking a 50 ho tractor with a post pounder. Those fencing machines look cool but a tractor is more versatile.

Parts are not hard to get.  There isn't anything that can't be bought or built to fix one right here in the states.  Even if parts need ordered from afar, the world is much smaller than it once was.  I have a new machine on order right now, and the only big change I made to the design is JIC hydraulic fittings instead of British Standard.  My old machine has BS, and it hasn't been too hard to find fittings when we need them......Just figured JIC would be that much handier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First on the gas driver.  

The cats azz for driving tpost. I bought one about six weeks ago after seeing my son moving around like me after driving a couple hundred tpost...I'm telling you. He sleeps with the thing. Lol

I can sure see the track driver if you're driving a wood post every 12-20 feet. Not counting braces we drive a pipe post every 100and fill in with tpost. The tractor acts as a driver a forklift, a brush pusher, and a grader. It'll load and unload the trailer. I can fit a ATV on the trailer with it. I can pick the welder off the truck and carry it back where the truck can't go. And I can afford to have two drivers. If one breaks i can be back to work in a couple of hours. I have a shaver 12 spring less and a shaver8. On a 85 horse. I'm working on a hydraulic rock drill right now to replace my pneumatic drill. It will be run off the remotes. One machine will be all that's needed for fencing. If I have to haul the dozer.. well that's a separate job anyway.

I've got old 70 horse and a 100 horse for farm tractors. But I do feed cows with my new driver sometimes. Planted 34 acres of hybrid Sudan with it to. ( It was new I wanted to use it) I used the little 2640 on the garden. Fwiw

Also anything bigger than a 10 on a 50 horse plan on some weights. In the front.

My two cents

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fence said:

First on the gas driver.  

The cats azz for driving tpost. I bought one about six weeks ago after seeing my son moving around like me after driving a couple hundred tpost...I'm telling you. He sleeps with the thing. Lol

I can sure see the track driver if you're driving a wood post every 12-20 feet. Not counting braces we drive a pipe post every 100and fill in with tpost. The tractor acts as a driver a forklift, a brush pusher, and a grader. It'll load and unload the trailer. I can fit a ATV on the trailer with it. I can pick the welder off the truck and carry it back where the truck can't go. And I can afford to have two drivers. If one breaks i can be back to work in a couple of hours. I have a shaver 12 spring less and a shaver8. On a 85 horse. I'm working on a hydraulic rock drill right now to replace my pneumatic drill. It will be run off the remotes. One machine will be all that's needed for fencing. If I have to haul the dozer.. well that's a separate job anyway.

I've got old 70 horse and a 100 horse for farm tractors. But I do feed cows with my new driver sometimes. Planted 34 acres of hybrid Sudan with it to. ( It was new I wanted to use it) I used the little 2640 on the garden. Fwiw

Also anything bigger than a 10 on a 50 horse plan on some weights. In the front.

My two cents

 

 

 

 

What'd you buy for a gas driver?  I've been thinking about getting one to rent out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the rhino gpd30..

We've used rhino air tools and I had faith in the brand. There's some plastic parts that make me nervous. With the gorillas throwing it around. But doesn't everything.

 

The skidrill is a good stout looking driver with a nice price...but nobody at skidrill will answer the #$_-++(phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fence said:

I got the rhino gpd30..

We've used rhino air tools and I had faith in the brand. There's some plastic parts that make me nervous. With the gorillas throwing it around. But doesn't everything.

 

The skidrill is a good stout looking driver with a nice price...but nobody at skidrill will answer the #$_-++(phone.

I was thinking about the GPD 45 so it'd work on pipe, too.  You drive anything bigger than a T post with yours yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...