Kinghitter Series 3 Rock Spike

oregonfarmfencer

We are currently in the process of purchasing a series 3 Kinghitter that is side mount. It has no rock spike or pilot auger. We wanted to purchase a unit with a rock spike but this one was just too good of a price to pass up. Does anyone have any experience with fabricating a rock spike and an extractor? Seems as if it is a fairly simple system. 

The rock spike and extractor will take more abuse than anything else on the machine.  You'll also need a hydraulic support leg directly under the mast, or parts will fail during a tough extraction.  When you start welding to the mast, with the heat it'll take, warpage is a real concern.  If you get your mast out of whack, it'll be a real bear to get it back square.   I'm not saying it can't be done, but it'll be a little more complicated than fairly simple, IMO.   How good is too good to pass up? 

You know that I'm all about fabricating your own tools, but...….  Rock spikes live a rough life.   For the money, I'd sooner put a rock auger on it.  Everyone says that once you have an auger on, the rock spike doesn't get used.  I'll let you know if it's true in about a month.  

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:18, oregonfarmfencer said:

We've tried to drill pilot holes with our beltec and then pound, doesnt work very well. Need something to bust the rock and push it away, not just loosen the dirt up. 

Copy that.  A rock spike is a good tool to have. 

On 11/06/2018 at 14:18, oregonfarmfencer said:

We've tried to drill pilot holes with our beltec and then pound, doesnt work very well. Need something to bust the rock and push it away, not just loosen the dirt up. 

I've never used one with the exception of home made ones. Not anything like your talking about... just a glorified rock bar really.

I've used pneumatic tools all my life. Hammers, drivers and drills.im thinking Your gonna get your heart broke when you take that Spike to some solid Rock. May be ok in she'll or fractured rock. But with no way to clear the spoils it ain't gonna do in bedrock. 

Archived