Gate and brace post

Kjg26

Today I hooked up my  Augur for the 1st time. I got my gate post drilled and  Installed. The next post to be drilled is the brace post for this gatepost. The terrain slopes away from the gate post . Where the brace post will being drilled is about a foot lower than the gatepost. How do I go about doing this?  The gate post is drilled to about 32" and tamped in place. No concrete.

Without knowing more it sounds like put your brace post to the same grade above ground as your gate post. In other words your horizontal brace will be parallel to the ground, not level. If you're dealing with the crown of a road and you can make both sides slope the same it will look better to the eye.  There is a fair amount of "artistic license" to be used in these kinda deals. If you lack experience by all means mock it up to make sure you get a eye pleasing look.

And pull that gate post up and dig it a foot deeper.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:59, Kjg26 said:

Ok. That makes sense.  The cross brace will still provide the same strength?  Also. What size brace wire do yall use?  Ive found 9g. 12g and 12.5 double strand

12.5 gauge HT for your brace wire.  2 or 3 complete wraps in a figure 8 pattern.  Tension and join with a crimp sleeve, a tex brown knot, a gripple, or a ratchet strainer.  Gripple also makes a quick brace kit, and my wife will be glad to sell them to you.  They are the handiest if you are only building a few braces.    

844-48-FENCE

Archived