12.5 smooth wire

Thegoatman22

3 hours ago, Thegoatman22 said:

I just bought 4 100 lbs rolls of 12.5 smooth wire. It was supposed to be 170 kpsi, but in typical form for that farm store they gave me non hi tensile. What kind of use does it have?

The scrap bin is the best use for it. I would never use 170 KPSI. That stuff is so soft and breaks so easy. We tried to build braces with 180kpsi wire before and every one would blow apart. Use 200kpsi minimum, 210 if you can find it. I would take it back.  

5 hours ago, oregonfarmfencer said:

The scrap bin is the best use for it. I would never use 170 KPSI. That stuff is so soft and breaks so easy. We tried to build braces with 180kpsi wire before and every one would blow apart. Use 200kpsi minimum, 210 if you can find it. I would take it back.  

The prob is its not even 170, is not hi tensile. I thought maybe for electric top lines.  

I like the 170 and 180. The 200 snaps everytime I try to tie a knot. When my brace wire fails, which isnt very often it is usually where the wire gets knicked from the teeth of something, or a fence is over stretched.

On 17/01/2019 at 19:41, Thegoatman22 said:

The prob is its not even 170, is not hi tensile. I thought maybe for electric top lines.  

I like the 170 and 180. The 200 snaps everytime I try to tie a knot. When my brace wire fails, which isnt very often it is usually where the wire gets knicked from the teeth of something, or a fence is over stretched.

I didn't know you could buy 12.5ga mild steel in coils. It must be for Chain Link? 

Mild steel or low carbon wire isn't much compared to high tensile. It has a much lower breaking strength, and is usually either class 1 or commercial galvanized. It would make a subpar electric wire. 

If it was me, I would take it back and get name brand 180 or 200KPSI high tensile wire. Also, pay more and get layer wound instead of coil wound. It unrolls so much better. 

Archived