Double Diggers

Frontrowfencing

Hi all,

Does anyone know where we can get hold of the double diggers like the ones in the picture.  We bought our original pairs from Travis Perkins, but this was many years ago, and they now do ones with different shaped scoops, after this we were able to get them from Birkdale and these were exactly the same scoops, with slightly shorter handles, now they do not do this style either any more. 

They seem to be the best double diggers we have ever had and we have lots of spare bits and we keep making new pairs out of the spares, we are getting low on them now though and we could do with finding a new supplier of them.  They seemto be nice and lightweight yet also quite strong and the shape of the heads just seems to work.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.

post-95-0-85160300-1413126460_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-54088900-1413126746_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info,

We have tried the roughneck ones, don't get on with the fibre glass handle ones and we have one set of the steel ones that work backwards and thye are good but heavy for every day use. I think i maybe need to look into the spear and Jackson ones, they are the closest I have seen so far,

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know how you get on looks to be alot of variety on there, I bought a big pair at the apf 2 years ago spear and Jackson ones with the insulated handles can't fault them, use to use them slot with last machine as we augured a lot with with the current machine we drive 90% of gate posts whether they be square or round, saves loads of time!!!!

Thanks Henry, I had a look, can't see anything that Is the same, a few look a bit simialr, but most are round handles all the way up, rather than square at the bottom.I think the closest I have found is a company called Seymour, but they are american, I think there is a seller on Amazon, so might have to look into that. I am a bit funny about the double diggers, finding a pair that suits is never easy, especially when you get used to one type. We usually only use them i commercial work, because like you we knock most agricultural stuff in. I do have some big heavy insulated pairs, but again when using them all day on site work they are tiring, although i was looking at the lighter duty spear and Jackson ones, and I think I can check them out first at the local b and q.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread, I thought it would be good to keep the information in the same place. I'm in New Zealand on holiday and went to a Mitre10 (like B&Q) store and saw these. Whilst fiskars designs are often brilliantly different. They are aimed more DIY than pro user.

I cannot find them on any uk sellers site but they have been on eBay , they are the bottom pair on this page

http://www.terrierman.com/phd.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this up again, but thought i might be able to help.

I too have been using an original pair i bought from travis Perkins that i think must be 6 years old or more now and keep worrying that they are going to break.

They are incredibly light, don't spread very wide, have a really good 'bite' on loose spoil and are surprisingly strong even in clay.

The closest replacement i have found is the Draper model in both wooden and steel handles.  They have the same square lower handles and blade/hinge design and shape.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-34894-Post-Hole-Digger-with-Hardwood-Handles-/321693867023?hash=item4ae672dc0f:g:n4kAAOSwv0tVAWuO

or metal

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-29287-Expert-Handles/dp/B00UNJUQRA

Thanks for that rccm, I really appreciate it, I did buy a pair of these as I thought they were quite similar to, but they do have a differnt shaped spade end, it seems to be more pointed and although OK in some ground I find it much harder in other ground, they are similar, but somehow just not quite the same.

Archived