General tips/advice please

Hi folks, this is a bit of a cheeky request but am not after your personal trade secrets just general tips regarding stock fencing. 

As many of you know the late member goaty was my brother and he did the fencing work on the estate where I work, my manager has bought my brothers byrce post knocker with the aim of taking fencing back in hand! My problem is even though I spent time with my brother fencing I never paid any attention to how he set the job up,  I just went along with the flow. Any advice how to start fencing would be much appreciated or point me in the right direction that would be great ta. 

Thanks 

Mark

sorry for the loss of your brother.   i suggest that you take a tape measure and a notebook to the estate where your brother built fences and measure the diameter and length/post spacing/ type and height of wire.  look at how he terminated the wire at the strainer ends etc.  what i am saying is everything you need to know is written in your brothers fence. just observe take notes and copy his efforts.    best of luck 

On 17/07/2019 at 13:24, Rancher said:

sorry for the loss of your brother.   i suggest that you take a tape measure and a notebook to the estate where your brother built fences and measure the diameter and length/post spacing/ type and height of wire.  look at how he terminated the wire at the strainer ends etc.  what i am saying is everything you need to know is written in your brothers fence. just observe take notes and copy his efforts.    best of luck 

Thank you that's a very good idea, will need a few notebooks I think as my brothers handiwork was never standard stuff! Was always studying fencing and how it was done especially every time he went to New Zealand and experimented here back home. 

• 1 month later...

My advice to start would be use big sized posts. Big strainers, long thick struts and big strut blocks. 

You can use a plain 2.5mm HT plain wire and use pegs or posts on turns and corners to mark out the line. This will allow you to move pegs until you get the line in the right place.  Then go about knocking strainers posts and strut up.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...