Gripple problems

Adam

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with gripples slipping or shattering. Amd in some cases splitting? On average we errect 80,000 metres of fencing a year witch we use gripples for and we also do alot of site fencing. We have had major problems with gripples thougth amd there poor service of trying too help us.

We had an issue about two years ago now maybe. We had a line of grapples that split in half. It was only on one join though, Gripple did come out and do some tests, but never heard back from them, they tested the tension of our wire and asked how far from the sea we were, couldnt find anything wrong, they took them away and siad thye would investigate but never heard anything back, didn't offer us anything either. It's the only problem we have had with them, however I have heard of others having problems with thme recently.

Yeah we had a giy come out and test the tension of ours too and he said we could pull our wire more so we said well we could if the gripples would take the pressure and showed him what we do and the gripples inside shattered to pieces and he said well that shouldnt of happend and they never got back to us i have also emailed them too. Also we think the contractor gripple ratchets are made wrong we find that we have less gripples breaking if we pull the gripple up with the wire comeing out in a straight line with the fence so the gripple isnt actually sat properly in the holder if you get me. I wish there was another company that made a similer product maybe gripple would then up there game and sort the problems out.

Yes we have recently had problems when using the baekart high tensile wire with it. We were pulling to the middle and grippling, and when using the tool to tension, the wheel ratchet and spring completely pulled through and fell out along with the crimped plastic. It must of happened on roughly a third of the ones attempted. A lady has been out a couple of times to take a look and said our techniques were absolutely fine, we tested some gripples the size up but the same thing was happening. We were in reasonably regular contact but now we have heard nothing for a while which is getting slightly frustrating. 

We sometimes use the gripple twisters to tidy up a join, but they can be more of a pain than being any use sometimes if the wire tail isn't completely straight.

I also have problems all the time, you cant use medium gripples on box strainers as the tension will rip them apart, at a push I have put 2 in line and use two strands of 3.15ht in a fugure of 8. If im using plain wire I will always use Jumbos as these seem a bit stronger but mainly use g-pac 4's now and I think the gripple grips the wire rope better than plain ht wire. Gripples are far from perfect and I think we need a representative on here to help sort things out, I use a hellish amount of these things and if they weren't so handy I certainly wouldn't be using any! I join and tension wire with them and there is often at least one per join that fails when pulling up for no apparent reason! Maybe Tornado could get on to them and gee them up a bit before we start looking for other alternatives........

Hi everyone,

We have spoken with Gripple and pointed out the concerns raised in this discussion - it wouldn't be right for me to speak for a company I don't work for of course, but the consensus seems to be that they're keen to come on board here and address the issues at hand...we're just working out the best way to create a suitable forum account for them, so do bear with us please!

Thanks for your patience, and for all your contributions to the forum - we hope you're finding it a useful resource and that you can continue to contribute :)

Thanks for that Nick, it seems that their customer relations could do with some work!  As to the rest of the forum its good to hear how other people do things as I get on with most of the other fencers in my area but we don't often exchange tips and ideas etc so very handy.

Hi there, Nick thanks for putting me on board. Really sorry to hear that you have problems with our product(s?). We would love to investigate each case individually because there might be different reasons behind them. So please could you send me an email with some more details what happened where and when and how many so that we can try to solve the issues. Please also add a telephone number so that we can contact you and arrange a visit. My email address is: a.williams@gripple.com.

Ash, sorry that I haven't got back to you yet. The show season has taken its toll on me. Your email is high on my list. I will come back to you tomorrow latest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any one tried the FASTLOK (91% breaking strength) from Strainrite (Kiwikit)?

I appreciate gripples are quick and simple to use but they are the weak point in any fence at only 65% the strength of the wire.  I`ve seen too many fences unzipped at the gripple to use on my HT fencing.  Crimps for me, 90-100% strength .

Any one tried the FASTLOK (91% breaking strength) from Strainrite (Kiwikit)?

I appreciate gripples are quick and simple to use but they are the weak point in any fence at only 65% the strength of the wire.  I`ve seen too many fences unzipped at the gripple to use on my HT fencing.  Crimps for me, 90-100% strength .

you wont see mine unzip, we wrap our off like we do any joint

Hi Robbell,

Just wondered do you still use a gripple and wrap, seems excessive I just use soft crimps cheaper and never had on slip yet, gripples used to split with frost!!

also use Bryce wirelinks but they can be a pain at times

we use gripples for over sharp hill or dip, it allows us to pull the lenth and just tweek to kee tensions even

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all. Just been reading this thread. Apologies to all out there if Gripple's response to any issues has not been good enough. I have recently taken over from Andrea Williams looking after Gripple customers in the UK. For anyone having issues with Gripple products, please get in touch with me at a.hartley@gripple.com or on 07919 320207 and I assure you we will investigate and give you a full response.

• 3 weeks later...

I tye my Gripples off with a twisty tool on each side of the gripple- I Know this prevents future retensioning, but really how often does well tensioned hi tensile net ever really need retensioning unless its been caught with a machine or something. I find them very handy for tweaking tension when pulling up but would feel uneasy leaving a job without tyeing them off for fear of them slipping.

Also never use them on strainer assemblies unless an emergency, I use a knot ( not sure what its called though!) and that never slips.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a problem and we're big users of Gripples, well of course I've over tensioned them at had the wire tear out, but this is through mis-use. Did have a tree come down over a HT deer fence and the gripple join acted like a shear bolt!

But overall very impressed.

However reading that Gripple have been on site visits, admitted there's a problem and not offered some recompense e.g. a free pack of gripples etc. is interesting.

With reference to the G Paks I use them quite often, they use braided wire rope which the gripples 'bite' into better than normal HT line wire, so making strong box strainers is an easier process.

Archived