What chain saw Stihl or Husqvana

stevew

I have a big husky for poi ting strainers and have just bought an echo saw to replace a stihl 181, for notching strainers, and preparing stays,

I have only read good things about echo, they come with a two year guarantee for commercial work and 5 year for domestic,

I 'll.post my reviews after a few months use.

We use all three got a 20 year old husky 55 still starts every time but hard to get parts for it and younger sthil that are very good also a little echo top handle very good for hedge laying but has become a bit unreliable, like you say Rob its down to our local dealers the husky dealer changed hands and became trouble but local sthil agent can't fault them so sthil it is ..

• 3 months later...

If using husky first thing to do is take the husky bar and bin it, replace with Oregon my husky dealer refuses to sell husky bars,

I've had the wee echo for a clue of months now and after consulting a local saw shop he advises for the first couple of months when starting run on half choke for one minute until it's run in, I've don this for last three weeks and seems to have made a difference in a good way.

I Have always had Stihl and could never really fault them but recently one of the mainline saws broke and we needed a quick replacement. I am guilty of not supporting my local dealers due to there silly prices and Stihl can not be mail ordered so Husky it was (540xp), and iv got to say I love it! thought it felt a little cheap at first but its the first saw to be icked up now.  

Ive got a 357xp, and echo cs450 and a johnsered and I never used to use the 357 for fencing just for logging but now I use it all the time, the echo is a good saw but prefer a bit more power. I don't know how you boys get on, but getting good pull cords that last the distance is my biggest problem!

• 2 months later...

You have one as well then Rob also 2. 135s. we have bought. 2 Stihl. 180s with 12" bars advertised as an old favourite re introduced easy to start easy to change the bar and chain easy to tension well balanced and easy to use

My supplier sells both but says the small new husky has been altered and is now complicated and not as good as the older models. And. Stihl have gone back to the older tried and tested designe. .???? Don't know but time will tell

Thats a shame, its the ups and downs of commercial development. Probably because now the generation designing such equipment have degrees in design but never had a blister caused by work. Subsquently they are detatched from the reality of the product.

I might be wrong but I am coming across alot of clueless at the moment, its disturbing.

My old 346xp and 357xp saws are holding their values well.

Im just about to buy a 550xp, have you been having trouble with them?

pile of excrement Mr Jones, iv just had a 550xp rebuilt by Husky @ only 9 months old, they said lack of maintenance and poor fuel mixing was to blame (cheeky feckers) I have saws that are over 10 years old still running, yet 3 x 550's all under 3 years old all with problems. Its not my maintenance or fuel mixing that's wrong its their product that's wrong

Archived