Agricised

stevew

We started using it a year ago on just sawn timber mainly on 125mm x 75mm For post and rail and the 75mm x 75mm and 100mm x 100mm for garden fencing. Personally I'm not convinced yet but if you cut into one there is a very good penetration of treatment my only worry is that there also a load of nice holes for the microorganisms to move into as well.. So all we can do is wait and see

Just must mention that the posts we are buying are from Walford timber and incised similar to the agricised product I'm not a particular fan of the company selling agricised as we used to buy a lot from them and had huge failers with their posts at the hight of the treatment change

i think everyone had huge fails back then charlie, I was struggling to source enough timber and got a load from away and it was scary how fast it went, posts strainers and struts.

Iv looked at this agricised timber and also think all the little holes will allow wee bugs and beasties in. My supplier is making sure the timber is well dry before treatment as this is probably the biggest cause of failure along with the poor effect of the newer treatment

Interesting to read your comments.. We are about to send one full artic load back, 5'6"" 3"/4". Take them to show the customer and sell up on quality and longevity nice looking machine round stakes easy to explain how the longevity works with the incisions & no quibble 15 year warranty, started to knock them in, ok on soft ground but as soon as we hit something harder, when the hammer hit the top of the stake on the first hit you could see the moisture ooze out of the rings of knots, on the third hit they shattered on the ring of knots. The customer who unfortunately was on site at the time said

( 15 year warranty you can't even get them in the ground ) he was correct, we took them all out and put redwood user class 4 in at no extra cost to the customer. A lesson learned !!!

I was chatting to the chap from the well known company who supplies the agricised posts at Lamma and the thing that still concerns me is that they are just mixed merchantable white wood species with tanalith e in them. I will only use 15yr redwood as a minimum and personally do not like machine rounds as I don't think they are as strong as cundys. I find that they break a lot easier and the heartwood isn't necessary in the middle of the post making them less consistent.

How dry do they need to be before use? I use some and you cant lift the wet ones and fluid runs out of them when you put staples in. I figure the chemical could leach out into the ground before it has time to set in wood.

I don't have any problems putting them in the ground but I'm not convinced they will last

I've also never had any paperwork with a warranty on, and I buy direct out of a mill.

I am with the majority, I am not a fan, I have seen the ones the company sells as agricised and the penetration is not much deeper. It is only deeper where the incisions are and then as said above the holes are there for little beasties to sleep in and they are near the untreated wood. I second what mike says, it's still only white wood. I think species selection is a big thing, you could probably use larch or Douglas fir and it would last longer untreated than some of the treated white wood.

We had a problem several years ago with same said company of their 15 year posts at the time and they were also breaking around the knot rings. One of our current suppliers dries the wood before treatment and then by the time we get it, the posts are that heavy with treatment they are hard to carry, especially if we get something that they have just treated.

Redwood uc4 all the way for us, unless customer specifies agricised.

Interesting how you work with the warranty on any of the posts ... We don't give our clients any kind of warranty our quotes state that we use uc4 kiln dried redwood posts that give a longer lifespan than standard treated posts if they ask how long that is I will verbally tell them that they should do 15 years ... Notice the word should ...!

Don't want to be in the situation we were 6/7 years ago when we had to replace post FOC that had only been in the ground 18 months

The said same company was not interested back then ...so can't see anyone getting very far with warranty claimed 15 years down the line

my supplier says his are treated to a standard equal to anything else out in the market place BUT HE WONT GIVE ANY GUARANTEE

He's not convinced  any of the guarantees will ever be honoured if they fail. You will need to prove who and when you bought them and possibly even the batch number of the treatment, theres info on delivery notes and invoices but we never cross reference this with my invoices etc

When ,the end user (your customer) buys the product, they have to register the purchase with the timber supplier (your supplier) provide proof of purchase from you and then comply with a page of T&Cs all available on the suppliers web site. Now you know why we are sending an artic load back!! Revert back to the old ways.

Last time I used the ec4 posts the stamp was on the top, the post saver got rid of the stamp and other contractor I know tend to cut the tops off again getting rid of the stamp?? Secondly the posts tend to be very white and quite weak as mentioned earlier, I feel so long as the posts are red wood that's half the battle!!

Have asked a couple of times for a guarantee page but with no success. One good response was "the customer normally comes in to buy the product themselves and we give them the guarantee". Pack sizes for strainers are 26 and struts come in 73. So if you only need 10 strainers and 6 struts your screwed. Which is why I supply 

As a test place a red wood post and a white wood post (spruce or pine) 3 feet apart in normal to hard ground and you will see straight away after 1 post how much better the red wood post drives, even when it's down to the right height and needs pushing back or forward 99% of the time it won't break un like the white wood sort just a lot easier to work with in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They have been incising sawn timber for years in the US, so I think the principles and technology are proven. But I don't think you can incise cundy peeled posts hence they use machined rounds. A rep told me you have to be careful with machine rounds as the machining can damage the timber. The incised stuff I have used was'nt very inspiring.

But the main thing is they are using that rubbish spruce, it's shite and that's that. Would the old boys back in the day have trusted it, not a chance. Imagine going to Brunel and saying we are going to use Spruce to fence the railways, he'd have told us to take a hike!

Chip the spruce and burn it in the power stations.

Up here I have been given all my customers the option off going down he route off creosote treated post red wood etc.but they see what the bottom line is and choke myite have one job coming off for oxtegon post.but think wee all want timber like what it was affordable and treated well with the right stuff no just green die.

Too many customers only look at the cost of a single product i.e posts. The single most expensive cost of Morgan Fencing is ME!! Followed by wire, then Termination strainers and turners (depending on length), and then posts.

Quality timber does add to the cost but the additional cost is only a small proportion of the entire job

Just quoted on 245m fence, Utility poles as strainers. the extra cost for creosoted inters over tantalise was £114 or 45p/m. That's £114 to make a fence last/stay functional for an extra 10/15 years? it would cost that to buy replacement posts.

Archived