Bryce against vector what is the best machine

Rossco

Well this is a trick one and will have varying opinions, and one I can't really comment on as I have limited experience of Bryce and none of vector. I would imagine it will come down to personal preference many times, just like it so often does with tractors.

But for me, the best machine does not come under either of these two makes, I like my Protech and would struggle to move from it. They are a good machine and the guys at Protech do a good job and have come a long way and now turning out some cracking machines that compete against others.

I rememebr buying my first machine a while ago now. I rang three companies. Bryce said his machine was the best, but he didn't do anything light enough for what I wanted, I needed a digger mounted machine as we hired a digger in to run the knocker as and when it was needed. I had to hire a 2.5 tonne machine so I could tow it. Jock was helpful though and gave his honest opinion, which I respected him for.

I also rang wrag as they did a digger mounted one and I knew someone else with a wrag and the local dealer sold them. They were more interested in telling me the down falls of a Protech and the fact they were not British built and used polish to build them, rather than trying to sell me their machine. Then I rang Protech and they said what they did, siad I could go down and look at them being built and asked what I was doing and said they thought it should do the job. But if I wasn't happy after a trial they would take it back, at my expense on the transport obviously. So we got one of there machines and didn't look back. I now run a tracked machine. And like it. There new tracked machines also look very good and there customer service is also usually very good, So for these reasons I am a Protech fan and probably will be for a while, but more importantly, the machine works for us, it fits into our way of fencing. I am sure other people have their own reasons for liking what they run. I think a lot will come down to,personal opinion, I don't think there is a way to say which machine is ultimately the best.

Only have Bryce experience, when looking into purchasing a machine came across the fact the machines where very similar. Bryce had a string of patents and awards.

Looking at the market now it seems the makers copy each other quickly.

I used a classic side mounted parmieter before of the old chain and sprocket design it served us well. But would dread going back to it.

ive worked a bryce , pro tech and wrag, and to be honest i prefer the wrag, light wieght, the ability to pivot that the bryce wont do. the wrag is perhaps lacking in the wieght of hammer but its dexterity is a great use, 

the protechs i have worked have been just basic ones, but the chain that holds the plate onto the hammer when moving was a damned pest to take on off whether this was a modified one by the owner or factory made i dont know.

i have had experience using a malone chapper, the man i work to part time gets a shot of it for fencing

obvious the flaws are the need to back onto every post, the abilty to shift the position of the post with the machine is limited,  the chain to hold plate to hammer is an absoulute ****** to hook on and off and that WAS factory fitted, the hammer power  of it was up there as good as any other chapper though  to be fair.

Ive also used the 3 major manufacturers. Wrag protech and currently have a bryce. I like the wrag and protech for the swing around factor but since owning a bryce i love it. The major difference for me is the feet. On a swing around type, raising and lowering the foot wich is directly under the mast affects the post level and you have to adjust. But on the bryce you put both feet down first. Doesn't sound alot but i think it really speeds up post knocking. Id like a tracked machine eventually but im only starting out on me own so for now my 10 year old bryce will do just fine.

Once upon a time I think the vector and Bryce were the same but all that has changed now, and that's a long story that I cant remember the ins and outs of. I have no experience of the vector although a local contractor has not long got the tracked version and he seems very pleased with it. All the manufactures have there pros and cons, nice little features etc but I don't think any one machine is perfect. I currently run a Bryce and I learnt to fence on one, I think there a great machine and build quality is second to none.

Aaron

I've got a vector tracked knocker, I bought it 2nd hand (dumper had done 1800 hours and 1000 since its conversion) it's actually got a Bryce post plate fitted to it (some Bryce and vector parts are compatible) and to be honest I really can't fault the machine, it does what it says it will do..... Knock posts all day long ........

In terms of build quality and from what I have experianced- out of the 'big 4' I would say Bryce is the best followed by Wrag, then Protech and then Vector. When I say build quality I mean quality of the welds/paint job and general finishing. TBH I have seen some awful welding on some Vector machines. I myself have a Wrag and am mostly pleased with it- problems to date include broken post cap and some slight weeping from some of the rams but in general I would say it has been a good machine.

I would have a Bryce for the hitting power but couldn't be without the swing round facility and also I run an 85hp tractor so might be pushing it weight wise on the hills with a Bryce. Anyone using Kinghitter series 4 on here?

Archived