H strainer construction

Ajmoore1

Hi

Not sure if this has been covered before but been looking on you tube and reading up on how different people do the h strainers. Seen it on YouTube and read an Australian article on using steel pins as per pic

e535cb9ef5f3fbac3aa18e58b983a34d_zpsunps

Going to give it a try as may be quicker than morticing them.

Made these nails up using 300mm 12mm bar. Works out 40p per nail.

1F118B2B-8E53-4D1B-9A06-B8F4AC9792FA_zps

Plan is to drill 10mm pilot hole first then knock them in. Has anyone tried this method before?

Regards

Jon

Never tried it but it doesn't take long to mortice the strainers out as long as you are mindful of where the knots are when you knock them in so you try and avoid them for your mortices. Just out of interest how do you all wire them? I sometimes use the gripple G Pac 4mm as they are quick but I don't like having the whole fence reliant on 1 gripple so I now use two wraps of 3.15mm ht in a figure of 8 and tighten up with the monkeys until you cant pull any more and then put a crimp in. I have a lot more confidence in these and they work well so far!

Never tried this method before. I am sure it will work, but on the diagram they have notched them as well. I still like to notch as although it takes a little longer, I like to think it is a sign of a good job. And hopefully some people notice it. I have seen some just nailed on and no notch, I am not keen on the look of just nailed in down to preference I guess

Av been trying a couple off methods no made my mind up yet . I done a mortise but left a flat edge all round to help spread the load iff u n what I mean no just made a point.

Then I went down the half and half back cut route I no it takes holding power out off the foot post but I put 3 wires round at about a inch apart think they take the load well.and at the end off the day iff the wire fales does not matter how well u install the rest off the assembly it will fale the wire does the holding.

I think it's more important on thinking on how u join ur holding wires I've been told by lots off top fencers to keep the wire in one loop .

But the more I think about it I reckon 3 separate loops gives u 3 more chances more work joint wire .but in one single loop done 3 times it breaks and it all false at one e

That's a pretty belt and braces job there, but like you say if it fails then the whole fence is gone. I did a load a few years ago with 3.15 ht and medium gripples and on over half of them the gripples tore apart and never again have I used mediums. I went to jumbos and they seemed a lot stronger but not happy to rely on them. I think the crimps are a lot better but it is more time consuming.

I have tried 2.5mm wire but kept snapping it when pulling it tight with the monkeys so 3.15 it has to be.

Never tried it that way Ajmoore1 but good to see your having a go.

I would add in the cost of your time making the pins and they will cost more than 40p I think.

Will mortise in both ends if am only doing a few or on hills, and back cut on second strainer if doing lots to save time on the flat.

Three loops of HT 2.5mm figure 8 and always a crimp for strength, tightened till the posts move

DA Mac can you get the tension the same on three individual wires? One single wire will be holding more than the others which will be weaker than three loops off even tension.

The wires shouldn't break under the load but if your worried would definitely use a crimp as the join will be the weakest point

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Not sure if this has been covered before but been looking on you tube and reading up on how different people do the h strainers. Seen it on YouTube and read an Australian article on using steel pins as per pic

e535cb9ef5f3fbac3aa18e58b983a34d_zpsunps

Going to give it a try as may be quicker than morticing them.

Made these nails up using 300mm 12mm bar. Works out 40p per nail.

1F118B2B-8E53-4D1B-9A06-B8F4AC9792FA_zps

Plan is to drill 10mm pilot hole first then knock them in. Has anyone tried this method before?

Regards

Jon

This is exactly what I do, no need to do any morticing unless you facy some recreational woodwork.

Steel pins through each end of horizontal strut, as per the diagram leave one of the pins protruding about an inch to use to hold the top wire from slipping down the post. With this method there will only be one cut of the timber making up the H assembly and that will be to cut the horizontal strut to the correct length. Treat the cut end with cresoste and job done.

Archived