track postdiver pros and cons

wfencing

Hmmm - thought you'd have gotten more feedback on this.  From down in NZ here's what I think after going through a lot of options to get into a tracked machine (I operate a MF5445 and Kinghitter Telescoping mast,  but it I found it too heavy for the conditions I often encounter).

If you are a dedicated Ag fencer then I think the Tracked Drivers are the way to go, they are a great productivity tool.  My main reservations about Tracked Drivers (the ones built on Tracked Dumper's) were the availability of parts (especially down here in NZ) and the  high costs of operating that sort of undercarriage.  If you need to exit the business you have a very specific bit of kit that has a narrow market.

If you do more general work then a Digger with a postdriver gives a wider range of capability (but not as productive at driving lines unless its a bigger machine) with a better chance of a good resale.

My final choice was a sub 2.5 tonne digger.

Cheers

Foster

Just buy one and you will wonder how you coped without it.

My biggest cons:

Tractor and low loader sometimes a bit big to get in places

Not so handy when you have to nip and do the odd gate.

Apart from that, quicker, cheaper to run, less mess, less labour, no compromise on knocker options/size, carry materials and tools on board, no cab to smash on trees, no clutch, gears, handbrake on off, in/out all day and your not putting hours on your tractor on tickover which doesn't do them any favours. Fed up or packing up? put it on ebay....gone within a week

I'll elaborate on my answer a little.  My first three rigs were center mast, H beam, three point mounted drivers.  (Side slide, slew, and any other practical ideas are pretty well unavailable here)  My fourth rig was a center mast H beam on a skid steer on tires.  Ohhh man.....I thought I was in heaven.  My next rig was the same driver on a rubber track skid steer.  I still have it, and even use it once in a while, although it's hard to go back to that way of life.   It is just nearly impossible to keep any help, and I was fairly well sick of climbing in and out of the skid steer 400 times a day, so I started exploring the internet every night until I hatched my plan to mate a Vector Model 4 to a Yanmar C50R.  It's big and heavy, but it has served me well and has never been arrested the night before a big job, or been too hungover to show up on time.  I'm taking a look at a Protech Evo in a couple weeks, and hopefully it will fit in my luggage for the trip home!  It wouldn't be practical for us to drive a tractor on the road to every job site,  so I'd just assume haul a tracked driver that I can operate alone as to any other type of rig.   Being able to work alone faster than I ever could with two of us has been the best benefit for me.  80 posts/hour is not uncommon in good conditions, so the speed makes up for the expense in no time.  If you're going to be a bear, be a Grizzly bear.

Edit:  The only downside are sharp rocks and small stumps left by land owners without track machines.......Derailed tracks can be a headache, but it's usually not an issue until the tracks are worn out.

and fixed rigid to the machine with no sloppy link arm stabilisers and tyre movement, and no paying someone else to sit in the warm on facebook, listening to the radio and not managing to position the tractor in the right place whilst your getting wet and cold. Get them out wiring up!

Perfectly put Mike, my sentiments exactly. We started with an international 956xl with a well used king hitter, sold both for the first tracked machine in 08 (first in the county) and now on our third and every other contractor has followed suit. Worst aspect is moving it for smaller jobs but all is forgiven as soon as I've got it off and started driving the first post!

Perfectly put Mike, my sentiments exactly. We started with an international 956xl with a well used king hitter, sold both for the first tracked machine in 08 (first in the county) and now on our third and every other contractor has followed suit. Worst aspect is moving it for smaller jobs but all is forgiven as soon as I've got it off and started driving the first post!

I couldn't agree more with you both!

Agreed, our first 2 were under 15k with rg30 and new p22 knockers, great way to start or carry on. Upgraded to protec evo2 last year to keep up with workload. I have to say I like the look of the Bryce knocker, well made and packs a punch, however when I spoke to Jock out of curiousity at apf and asked about hd180 with wider tracks than 320mm (as the bryce is over 4.5t empty compared to 3t of rg30 Protech on same size tracks and some of our sites are wetlands) and remote for tracks and wire unroller to do 7 stands of plain at once he told me "no we don't customise machines, you take the machine as it is as I know this works, if your not happy with it your not a professional fencing contractor". Fair enough, maybe I don't do the same work they're used to? so I spoke to Steve at protec who replied "I'll build any spec machine you would like" and did so to our exact needs, even special one off designs. Some small issues with Ecu and odd items in first weeks as it was only their 4th remote machine but everything was dealt with same or next day no fobbing me off or treating me like I'm not a professional worth their time even though I'm only 32. I'm afraid protec will get my call every time, customer service tips it for me just as much as the machines performance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bryce machines, just that different machines and manufacturers will suit different fencers.

Agreed, our first 2 were under 15k with rg30 and new p22 knockers, great way to start or carry on. Upgraded to protec evo2 last year to keep up with workload. I have to say I like the look of the Bryce knocker, well made and packs a punch, however when I spoke to Jock out of curiousity at apf and asked about hd180 with wider tracks than 320mm (as the bryce is over 4.5t empty compared to 3t of rg30 Protech on same size tracks and some of our sites are wetlands) and remote for tracks and wire unroller to do 7 stands of plain at once he told me "no we don't customise machines, you take the machine as it is as I know this works, if your not happy with it your not a professional fencing contractor". Fair enough, maybe I don't do the same work they're used to? so I spoke to Steve at protec who replied "I'll build any spec machine you would like" and did so to our exact needs, even special one off designs. Some small issues with Ecu and odd items in first weeks as it was only their 4th remote machine but everything was dealt with same or next day no fobbing me off or treating me like I'm not a professional worth their time even though I'm only 32. I'm afraid protec will get my call every time, customer service tips it for me just as much as the machines performance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bryce machines, just that different machines and manufacturers will suit different fencers.

I'd buy a vector over the Bryce, I couldn't deal with anyone that said about not being a professional contractor.

post-59-0-47457000-1479336144_thumb.jpeg

Bryce hd180 probably the most versatile machine on the market, also the most expensive but you get what you pay for. Spares and service always next day, an important factor

I'd say my Solotrak 200R is more versatile (fitted with a blade, netting dispenser, which, compressor) compared to the Bryce HD180 and it was definitely a lot more expensive by the time it was fully kitted out 

Certain people on this forum have knocked every comment I have made, and you know who you are. I was all way taught ( believe nothing that you hear and only half or what you see and you will not go far wrong ) if you don't own and use a particular machine then you have no grounds to knock it.

Some wrongly say Jock is grumpy and arrogant, even if it was true, people are not born like that, it's life's experiences how people treat you in life, and dealing with time wasters that make people what they are, after a while you get an ability to spot them a mile away

This forum was set up for like minded people to help each other and discuss fencing.

Not to continually quote then knock products and people!!!

It would be good to have a bit more positives and a bit less negativity and let people make a choice

When will you guys realise that not every machine will suit every application or everyone's pocket

Hi Steve

It s obvious your having a dig at me so why don't you just tag me in the post.

You made three statements all of which where incorrect.

1) The Bryce is only most expensive when comparing like for like. Both the Solotrak and protech come with additional features/options or will customise the machine for you which make them more expensive. I know what they cost are I priced all machines before purchasing. Which leads on to point 2.

2) Both the Solotrak and Protech come with a multitude of options that allow you to customise your machine to make it more versatile. As stated earlier my Solotrak is fitted with a blade which allows for clearing banks or ground in preparation for the fence line. It is fitted with a which to tow itself out should it get stuck or something else get stuck. It can be fitted with a netting dispenser and clamp to unroll and tension netting. It can be fitted with either a rock spike or auger drive and even a compressor to run a staple or nail gun, just to name a few options, It even has dual controls which only the latest Bryces feature. So yes I believe I am correct in saying that it is more versatile. The Protech is renowned for being capable of being remote controlled.

3) You said that the Bryce Hd180 is the only one that has 180 degree slew, but the Solotrak 200R in fact has a 200 degree slew to allow working on both sides of the machine. The clues in the name.

So in response to your post I don't think I'm being unreasonable or having a go by quoting your post, I was merely correcting you on a couple of posts you made that may have misinformed another reader/professional fencer. I hope you don't mind this.

I didn't 'knock' the Bryce or any other brand.

I don't think the last to statements are aimed at me so I shall not respond.

Regards Tepapa

P.S. you don't need to reply to my comments either on here or a private message.

There you go again, you have carried this on for months.

Read the title of the post.it gives you a clue! Tracked post driver pros and cons

1/ The Bryce is the most expensive post driver on a like for like basis Fact !

2/ The Bryce is a Post driver !!! Not a machine with loads of attachments Fact !

3/ The Bryce is the ONLY 180 machine on the market, solotrak 200r is a 200 is says it in the name. Fact !

Read the rest of the post

Not every machine suits every application or everyone's pocket Fact !

Your incredible steve.
Ive hardly posted for months.
1) If you put a new mooroka base under the solotrack it would be more expensive like or like. Fact!
2) Is that the best ou can do? Mines bigger than your!!! Haha.
3)You said the bryce is the only one that will swing 180 degees. That's wrong the 200R will swivel 180 degrees and more. Dont split hairs.
I merely pointed out your mistakes, your response makes you look a fool. Fact!