track postdiver pros and cons

wfencing

Iv got a 180 and luv it simple machine to operate and maintain . Jocks just down the road I get on with them well . But saying that having used johns solo track it's a very well thought out machine and in the future I will ad some solo net get onto it solo net possibly blade and defiantly track grips . From what I hear of Simon Hess very expersed fencer go a long way like wise with jock in my mind

Hi there this is getting good , we've got a bryce 180 with a blade and a winch fitted on by jock so he dose do a few customisation s and price wise it's getting up there , and are toying with a second tracked machine but will defenatly look at both solo net and protech before we commit to anything.

Talking of 180 has anyone had a a slew ram pin break just had our second one go,?

I have a HD 180 and had the slew ram pins break I think it because they are drilled down the middle so you can grease them .I hate these types of pins I now have change them for a solid pin and put a grease nipped in the ram been like this 6 months now n had no problems.

• 3 months later...

Not read this thread for a while, but often think of and admire the track machines. Our Bryce profi supreme will be six years old this summer. We did intend trying to do a lot More fencing work, we enjoy it and have the gear. However circumstances have made things as they are and today was our first day fencing this year, I work with my wife and we both enjoy it. She's the tractor driver and I operate the machine. Yes it doubles the labour costs of a purpose built machine, but I'm quite happy that she can be in a cab all weathers as due to a non fencing injury, the colder spells are painful for her.

Also on Monday I was using the tractor to power our wood chipper on a job. So currently on those counts a tractor is the only real solution for us, plus we would still need it to tow a plant trailer or get a hgv.

Like Goaty, I often think about track machines too, then I really think about it. I work on my own mainly using either a digger and post driver or tractor knocker, with either machine I can comfortably knock 300-400 meters worth of posts in a day even with all the jumping on and off. I have pallet forks on the tractor so very little handling of posts involved and there is also plenty of scope for wire rollers etc. Also with tractor I can turn up drive straight to the fence line and get on with the banging! Whilst I don't doubt that a tracked machine is more efficient once it gets down to post driving (mainly due to the ability to drive it from the back) but I question whether the logistics of getting it there would counter the productivity gain. I'd either have to use truck and trailer to transport it and thus would have to unload potentially fields away from where I'm actually fencing due to ground conditions, so time lost there. Then I'd have to either load all the stakes on to the machine by hand or have another machine to cope with handling bundles of stakes. In short the tracked knockers are just far too much of a one trick pony (and an expensive one at that) with minimal ability to clear old fence lines/handling that a tractor or digger have.

Everyone's scenarios and setups are different though and ultimately It's just a case of whatever works for you, but tracked knockers aren't for me.

I'm sure that it's tough to justify a tracked knocker for some.  It is a big expense, and I suppose they can be a bit of a one trick pony, but so am I.  We don't build anything but farm fence, so my driver gets a workout.  Friday, I drove 1,300 meters of posts.....5-6"x8' intermediates and about 30 8'x10' strainers, and still had time to build braces and stretch some net.  I can load nearly 60 5-6" posts on my machine, and that's pretty handy.  Yesterday, for example, I loaded the posts I needed for a 150 meter post and rail job.  I drove all the posts so the guys can hang boards first thing Monday, and then moved the driver on up the road to the next job.  (Next to a church, so I can't start until noon today)   Tepappa has a pretty good system for working alone and keeping all the equipment (loader tractor, knocker, trailer)  he needs on the job. 

I'm not a post knocker salesman, so it makes me no difference, but I've never heard anyone with a tracked knocker wish to go back to using a tractor mounted knocker. Ever.  It'd be like wishing for Tornado to stop making 500 meter rolls, and only make 50 meter rolls. lol

​And Matt, in a few years, climbing in and out of a tractor 200 times a day won't be as much fun! 

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a tracked knocker any day of the week when it actually comes down to knocking the posts in. I don't particularly like getting in and out the tractor but mine is quite easy as it such a squat thing it isn't to far to get down! However I can see that if your jobs generally consist of KMs of fencing then obviously you need maximum efficiency but whilst I'm always busy with fencing my jobs generally tend to be 200meters here, 150m of post and rail there, next job 100meters of stock fencing with a few gates etc. So a lot of moving kit around, I wouldn't want to spend a load of money on a tracked knocker then still have to have a tractor for towing the thing around and handling bundles of stakes etc. Knocking posts in generally accounts for say 30% of a total of a job from loading stakes to knocking the last staple in so a tracked knocker just wouldn't save me enough time to be worth it. Never say never though!

That's impressive metreage west fork. At that rate I'd only be doing 2 weeks fencing a year!!!

Like Matt I like the tracked knocker idea. It's the full time pro setup. Yes I did one day knocking posts in and getting in and out the tractor. I only do knocking continuously when I have someone else. I hang wire and do braces on my own or gates etc.

That's impressive metreage west fork. At that rate I'd only be doing 2 weeks fencing a year!!!

Like Matt I like the tracked knocker idea. It's the full time pro setup. Yes I did one day knocking posts in and getting in and out the tractor. I only do knocking continuously when I have someone else. I hang wire and do braces on my own or gates etc.

Goaty, I like to buy high, sell low, and make it up on volume.  :D 

• 3 years later...

Hi new here, I do a bit of fencing as it fits in nicely with my other work wet/windy or quiet days. Up to now I've been doing it with a mell and tractor with p230 for strainers, but recently shoulder has been bothering me, so looking at tracked machine. Would love a purpose built unit but can't afford that expense. Was looking at a tracked dumper and mounting a unit on it. It's an old gear/clutch driven skid base, question is, is it possible to put brake levers/clutch/fwd reverse lever on rear so I can easily walk along and post line? I know a hydrostatic unit would be easier to convert but cant justify the extra cost yet, thanks in advance